Thread: XTR 975 issues

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

XTR 975 issues

I picked up a 2010 hardtail this spring set up with XTR 975 discs - 180 in the front, 160 in the rear. I have a couple of bikes and this one hasn't had much use until this last week. My other bikes all run Juicy 7's which while really loud modulate well and have good stopping power. I'm around 185 and like to go as fast as I can downhill. My rear brake has never had lockup stopping power - but then last weekend the lever went to the bars. So, I bleed them and replaced the resin pads with the metal ones. Last night the front brake decided to stop working (I'm thinking air bubbles - the lever would pull to the engaging point and then have an extra half inch of pull) so here I sit with my leg all scraped up wondering if I should start looking for new brakes. I'm going to bleed the front and replace the pads but are these not the brakes for me? I've had my eyes on some Hope X2's but have also read here that the new XTR's are the cat's meow. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Update: After bleeding and replacing the supposedly new pads the brakes are working better. Resin in the front and metal in the back. I still think the power was better on my Juicy's and the modulation is way better on my friend's Hopes. I'm going to live with these for awhile and then see about upgrading to something else.