XTR 970 rotor. Play again in the rivets- Mtbr.com
    the catalan connection

XTR 970 rotor. Play again in the rivets

I sent a while back a XTR rotor for replacement becouse it got play at the rivets (connection between spider and steel brake surface). After about 6 months on the new one itīs already developing play. Both have been used on the rear wheel.
    Is this bad luck or a somehow common problem ? Anyone else had this happen?
    cheers!
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have run both the 203 rotor and the 160 rotor zero problems.....

I cooked the 160s several times to blue hot...

Can you define the play you have?

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I have run both the 203 rotor and the 160 rotor zero problems.....

I cooked the 160s several times to blue hot...

Can you define the play you have?

Yes,
    If I carefully grab with my fingers where the spider and steel meet ,then hold the brake and try to turn the wheel fore and back I can clearly feel there is play there. Itīs rotational, not lateral.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by What&son
    Yes,
    If I carefully grab with my fingers where the spider and steel meet ,then hold the brake and try to turn the wheel fore and back I can clearly feel there is play there. Itīs rotational, not lateral.

Hmm never bothered to try that...I will....Nope can't feel any play at all the rear rotor has to be 4 years with 25,000 km on it. Front 203 only has 3 months with 1300 km on it.

But you don't notice anything when your riding the bike?

the catalan connection
    The first time it happened it called my attention becouse there was a continuous creacking noise when I used the rear brake (the same sound that you can hear at the stem/handlebar/seatpost sometimes, but all in a row). Then I went to the shop and the mech did the test I posted above and noticed inmediately the play at the rivets. I was told that it might get worst (may even break) and sent the rotor for replacement inmediatelly. Got a warranty replacement and now is happening again after some months on the fresh new rotor. Both 160 mm. Up front thre is no problem, only happens at the rear, which makes me wonder whether there is some missalignement at the frame tabs that side loads the rotor too much or
    Iīm just getting the rotors from the same wrong batch.

Members who have read this thread: 0