XT Brakes Issue, Please help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XT Brakes Issue, Please help

I bought a set of new OEM prebleed XT brakes. The front seemed to work pretty well but the rear kept tightening up for a lack of a better word with use on long descents. In other words the braking was not consistent and was very immediate on descents. It would then go back to normal.

So, I figured it needed. a bleed which I did. The problem is still there though (may be a little better).

Is this a know issue? I have never heard of this before.

Anyone have any insight into this.

Thanks

aka bOb
    Just a guess, but maybe there is too much fluid in it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Are they dragging when you are off the lever? If so, then it could be a stuck out piston, do a piston clean up (search this forum, it shows up on a weekly basis). If pistons do go back in, but engage prematurely then check the reach dial?

What model XT are they? New ones like 775 have more adjustments than say 750.

ronbo613
    Did you push the calipers all the way in and put something between the pistons when you bled them?
    When I bled my M775's there were a few air bubbles trapped in the nooks and crannies of the caliper body, it took me a couple tries to get them all out.

Low Rep Count
    I had a constant squish with my rear after trimming the lines. I took it to a shop and we spend an hour bleeding it only to end up in the same situation. I took it to another shop and we even installed another new line and still could not get it to feel like front one did. I eventually gave up and slapped my BB7's back on and recently sold the XT's. Hopefully that guy will have better luck with them (I did disclose all of this to the buyer so he knew what he was getting).

ronbo613
    I had a constant squish with my rear after trimming the lines.
    Typical of the M775 rear brake. You have to take the caliper off the frame, turn it around, upside down and tap the caliper to get the air bubbles out. It took me a few tries to get it right the first time I bled the brakes. The front brake bled fine the first try.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613
    Typical of the M775 rear brake. You have to take the caliper off the frame, turn it around, upside down and tap the caliper to get the air bubbles out. It took me a few tries to get it right the first time I bled the brakes. The front brake bled fine the first try.
    I had the same problem with the rear brake but finally got it.

Members who have read this thread: 0