xt brake switch- Mtbr.com

Thread: xt brake switch

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

xt brake switch

My new bike thats coming will have shimano xt brakes, and I ride moto style, with the front brake on the right and the rear on the left. Are the xt brakes ambidextrous like elixirs?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    in order to switch lever side with shimano brakes you need to swap the lines. unscrew/remove line at the lever and replace with the opposite line. You will need (most likely, skillful execution may vary result) bleed the brakes after doing so. Fortunately for you, bleeding shimano brakes is WAY easier than avids. Just be sure to use mineral oil, not brake fluid.

mtbr member
    No bleeding should be necessary. I shortened my XT lines and didn't need to bleed them after, so a simple swap of lines shouldn't need bleeding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    No bleeding should be necessary. I shortened my XT lines and didn't need to bleed them after, so a simple swap of lines shouldn't need bleeding.
    Hence why I said "skillful execution will vary result." if you ham it you will spray oil and have to bleed. e.g., pull way too hard and the line lets go suddenly slinging oil... I've done that one in the past. If everything goes well and you don't mess up you shouldn't need a bleed. IMO stock bleed sucks though, I can always get a bit of air out.

mtbr member
    If you are not a total spaz when you undo the brake lines / swap them you will not need to re-bleed.

Members who have read this thread: 0