XT 2008 levers & calipers with Goodridge hoses- Mtbr.com
    wyrd bi ful rd

XT 2008 levers & calipers with Goodridge hoses

Has anyone tried to use Goodridge hoses with the new 2008 XT brake system?

The lever kit comes with fittings and some hoses, but would like to swap the hoses around to use a Goodridge hose.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?modelID=2938

Goodridge does have a kit '107' with fittings to use with XT/XTR but I think that is for use with the old XT/XTR as the new calipers do not have banjo fitting but rather the fitting that it uses is screwed on directly into the caliper ... much like the levers.

I am just worried that the Goodridge hose diameter might not be compatible with the Shimano fittings.

Will post some pictures to show what I mean.

wyrd bi ful rd

wyrd bi ful rd

mtbr member
    Just a warning, the Goodridge hose will not work with the shimano fitttings (olive, insert etc). It is quite a lot thicker. You might want to get the goodridge fittings for the deore/525 calliper, that goes in straight like the new xtr/xt callipers, and straight at the lever end too.

It seems like an expensive upgrade, but one I am always tempted to do. Let us know if it makes the brakes feel THAT much better.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    yeah.. please post back if you go ahead with the upgrade.. i'd be interested to know...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Just that this is something I have always wanted ... steel braided hose ...

Will keep you guys informed.

Ultimated Outsider
    What mtnkiwi said get the Deore/525 set. This is something that you will actually feel. I use goodridge lines and pads on my XTR 960 calipers with XTR 970 levels and they work great, one us the best upgrade I have made to my bike.

mtbr member

ditto here

I am using Goodridge lines on '07 Saint calipers and '08 XTR levers - cost me $100 for the new fittings for the Goodridge, but well worth it. I have Goodridge on one bike and Shimano lines on the other - same components - big + difference in brake modulation and power.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

mtbr member
    My lbs has some sort of generic braided hose that I used when the rear Hayes Sole hose decided to split for no apparent reason. It comes with a plastic outer sheath that I had to remove at the ends to get the fittings to fit. It was relatively cheap (in Australia) at about US$25 for 1400mm. If a braided hose is your main objective you might find someone selling something similar by the foot.

Tim

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    Has anyone tried to use Goodridge hoses with the new 2008 XT brake system?

The lever kit comes with fittings and some hoses, but would like to swap the hoses around to use a Goodridge hose.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?modelID=2938

Goodridge does have a kit '107' with fittings to use with XT/XTR but I think that is for use with the old XT/XTR as the new calipers do not have banjo fitting but rather the fitting that it uses is screwed on directly into the caliper ... much like the levers.

I am just worried that the Goodridge hose diameter might not be compatible with the Shimano fittings.

Will post some pictures to show what I mean.
    \

Just so people know upgrading your lines to stainless braided will do absolutely NOTHING for performance. Steel braided lines are used in the after market car world because they are replacing soft rubber factory lines which contribute to soft pedal feel along with flexing master cylinders. In the bike world brakes already come with hard plastic lines which don't expand. If your were to remove the stainless braided cover (which is simply for abrasion resistance and does nothing for performance) you find a line much like the stock one you were replacing. They look neat though.
    "Do not touch the trim"

wyrd bi ful rd

Update

I managed to use the Shimano olive and insert with the Goodridge hose.

20071101 goodridge hose with shimano olive n pin mtbr forum.jpg

BUT ... it does not work ...
    it WILL leak ...

I tried it 4 times ...

20071106 shimano olive 4X mtbr forum.jpg

I tried it on the original Shimano hose that comes with the levers ... and wah lah ... works fine ... apparently as you tighten ... the olive circumference will crumple and it will 'bite' the plastic outer covering of the hose and causing the length (4mm of it) between the olive and the insert to expand hence creating a seal.

With the steel braided hose, there will be no seal as you are not able to compress the steel covering ... the copper olive will become jagged around the edges instead.

wyrd bi ful rd

Then comes the enlightenment ...

I thought of giving up then decided to go on the website one more time to check around ...

Found these ...

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector male 02 mtbr forum.jpg

goodridge hose ... collar ... male connector

you will need to trim the plastic covering of the hose back about 10mm.

then you insert the collar first which should come to rest with the end of the hose just at the bit where the inside thread starts. the collar comes with threads on the inside of about 3mm on one side. you will not be able to push the hose all the way through the collar.

then you tighten the male connector all the way in until you reach the end.

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector male insert 02 mtbr forum.jpg

my picture only shows halfway in the tightening.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice...keep'em coming, chinaman!

wyrd bi ful rd

Feels Like Heaven

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano lever mtbr forum.jpg

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano caliper mtbr forum.jpg

no leaks ... have so far gone out for about 4 hours on the trails giving it 100% and it fits like as though it was made for it

it is really easy ... no fussing about with olives and pins etcetc.

Meh.
    Very nice. Glad you got it worked out.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Here are the stats:

The Goodridge hose has a diameter of 6mm. After you trim away the clear plastic covering it is becomes 5mm.

The Shimano hose has a diameter of 5mm.

Both the hoses has an internal diameter of about 2.5mm.

Not trying to advertise for CRC but this is where I got the hose:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=2938

dont worry about the pic, i selected the clear item no 11894

the collar ... and male connector

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=20453
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=20445

I would suggest to get the stainless steel collar. The alloy feels really light and as though the threads may give after a few tightenings and loosenings ... but then again you will not loosen it again are you???

wyrd bi ful rd
    I left the rear on with the Shimano hose ... not intentionally as CRC only sent me 3 collars instead of the 4 that I ordered ...

But ...

after I bleed both the brakes ... I could not get the rear, on Shimano hose, to be as firm as the front ... being on Goodridge hose ... if you know what i mean ... there was still slightly a little bit more play in the levers ... i have already adjusted the bite point and lever travel to the max. I am not sure if it is the lever ... but it tells me that I am able to transfer more force into the pads on the goodridge hose

I still need to get used to it as I managed to lock the front end ... though I have to admit I am using 203mm rotors and on damp rooty and technical areas.

Rivet may have a point but I still feel it does give more 'bite'.

Anyway it looks a dream.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Very nice. Glad you got it worked out.
    Cheers ... yeah ... close call and almost gave up halfway ..

veldrijder
    Can you clarify how many of each part (collar, male connector) is needed per brake? Do the Shimano fittings from the stock hose work at the lever end, or do you need new fittings for both ends of each brake? If so, do both ends take the same collar/male connector combo?

Thanks!

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    ... Can you clarify how many of each part (collar, male connector) is needed per brake? Do the Shimano fittings from the stock hose work at the lever end, or do you need new fittings for both ends of each brake? If so, do both ends take the same collar/male connector combo? ...
    For 1 set of brake, ie 1 caliper and 1 lever, you will 2 collars and 2 male connectors. 1 each at the caliper end and 1 each at the lever end. The fittings that comes with stock shimano rubber/plastic hoses will not work on the braided lines. I have 4 olives to prove ... (that is a 4 star general) ie I tried it 4 times and each time the fluid will leak out from in between the fittings. yep i bled my brakes 4 times just for the heck of it ...

For front and rear brakes, you will then need 4 of each.

Note: The rubber sleeve that comes with the original fittings will not go in all the way.

20071125 nicolai helius cc front MTBR FORUM.jpg

veldrijder
    Alright, thanks!

mtbr member

Me likee!

I am digging my new 2008 XT brakes on my Speshy Demo 8 with Goodridge lines and G-Star pads.

They are so much more positive than even my 2007 XTR brakes/Saint calipers with Goodridge lines and G-Star pads.

You can feel the pads retract very positively on the XT's and the power is awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Lover, not a fighter...
    Dec 2006
    Any updates on this setup? I have a set of '08 XTs I'll be mounting soon.

I noticed you have Hope floating rotors as well. How are they working with the XT pads and calipers? Are they noisy? Any rubbing? Thanks.

I left the rear on with the Shimano hose ... not intentionally as CRC only sent me 3 collars instead of the 4 that I ordered ...

But ...

after I bleed both the brakes ... I could not get the rear, on Shimano hose, to be as firm as the front ... being on Goodridge hose ... if you know what i mean ... there was still slightly a little bit more play in the levers ... i have already adjusted the bite point and lever travel to the max. I am not sure if it is the lever ... but it tells me that I am able to transfer more force into the pads on the goodridge hose

I still need to get used to it as I managed to lock the front end ... though I have to admit I am using 203mm rotors and on damp rooty and technical areas.

Rivet may have a point but I still feel it does give more 'bite'.

Anyway it looks a dream.

wyrd bi ful rd
    The Hope works very well with the XTs ... feels as though they were made for each other

No noise at all and no rubbing ... bolt on ... adjust and ride ...

I am using the Mini/M4 rotors ... Hope makes a slightly different rotor for the M6 ... even though they look the same on pictures ... not sure if these will work ... I know they are slightly heavier ... the M6 rotors

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by steve47co1
    ... digging my new 2008 XT brakes ... with Goodridge lines ...
    Does the Goodridge tag fit snugly over the hose connectors? ... Do they slip off during a ride? Been thinking of getting one for my hose ...

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006
    The Hope works very well with the XTs ... feels as though they were made for each other

No noise at all and no rubbing ... bolt on ... adjust and ride ...

I am using the Mini/M4 rotors ... Hope makes a slightly different rotor for the M6 ... even though they look the same on pictures ... not sure if these will work ... I know they are slightly heavier ... the M6 rotors
    Are those rotors 160mm or 180? I am trying to find a set of the floating Hope rotors for 160mm, but I just cannot seem to get them anywhere.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

wyrd bi ful rd
    They are 183mm ...

The saw tooth ones only comes in 183mm and not 180mm but if you are looking for the 160, then you are in luck ...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?modelID=16448

Make sure you select the 'floating' ones

BTW CRC post their orders on the day itself ... if you get the order in before 10am GMT (working day) ...

MTBR Demi-God
    Apr 2006

The saw tooth ones only comes in 183mm and not 180mm but if you are looking for the 160, then you are in luck ...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?modelID=16448

Make sure you select the 'floating' ones
    Great, thanks a lot. I guess I should not go by the picture that they have up on the product page if I am looking for the floating ones right? I just need to get the centerlock adapter and I should be good to go.
    "Winners never quit. Quitters never win. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

wyrd bi ful rd
    Update ...

the shimano rubber collar that comes with the lever set BL-M775, can be used with the goodridge hose collar ... please refer ...

20080322 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano lever 01 MTBR FORUM.jpg

you will need to put some grease on the goodridge collar (top arrow) ... then just push the shimano rubber collar over the goodridge collar. it is very tight but it will go all the way in ... second pix ...

20080322 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano lever 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg

... the goodridge tag that you can get is a bit flimsy, the circumference is slightly larger than the hose and the plastic material is very thin ...

20080322 goodridge hose tag MTBR FORUM.jpg

btw the goodridge hose weighs about 5.84g for every 10cm of hose ...

go chase the sunset
    In comparison, how much does normal hose weigh?

According to goodridge official records:

600-02 (Coated - CLG/CB/RD/BU)
    Stainless braided with PVC coating. For mountain bike
    applications, where it is used with a reusable olive-free fitting. Also can be used with crimped –2
    fittings, as with standard 600-02.

Part number: 600-02*
    Weight (g/m): 58
    Pressure (psi) Working / Burst: 6600 / 19800
    Bend radius (mm): 12
    Inner diameter (mm): 2.00
    Outer diameter (mm): 5.30
    Temperature rating (C) -20 / +85

* CLG, CB, RD, BU

Brake systems (Mountain Bike)

Braking systems for single-seater or two-wheel applications

Pressure sensor hoses

Pneumatic systems

Bleed hoses

Edit: I searched through WW on starbike and found it:
    Standard 5mm Hope plastic hose = 28g/m
    Goodridge stainless hose = 59g/m

Given that a bike has about 2m of brake cable on it roughtly, it's an extra 52g, not discounting for the alloy hardware which saves about 15g/side, so a total of 22g more roughtly for the pair.
    Last edited by Ardent; 03-22-2008 at 05:44 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano lever mtbr forum.jpg

20071106 goodridge hose collar n connector on shimano caliper mtbr forum.jpg

no leaks ... have so far gone out for about 4 hours on the trails giving it 100% and it fits like as though it was made for it

it is really easy ... no fussing about with olives and pins etcetc.

Darn you got to answerbefore I could post. Goodridge make a kit with the correct fittings for the BR M775 and BL M775.
    Anycombo is possible.
    I will switching to HEL brake lines soon though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    yes it can but why Would I want to hide the pimp red connectors from public view...?

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad
    ... why Would I want to hide the pimp red connectors from public view...?
    well if it is pimpED red then ... that is different isn't it ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardent
    ... In comparison, how much does normal hose weigh? ...
    a shimano hose weighs about 18g for every 100cm ... that is quite a lot less than the goodridge but it is all in grammes ... easily even up else where with less important components

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Why are these hoses so incredibly expensive? Brake lines for a car are way cheaper and must be at least as robust.

mtbr member
    Because they are the only company that makes them, I think; which means that they can charge whatever they want for them. On the other side of that I have been running them on 3 different bikes for 3 years now - no bleeds or re-bleeds, no tears or rips or cracks, and superior performance.

Members who have read this thread: 1