( )
    Nov 2004

WTF? Cost comparison: BB7--buying new rotors/pads vs. buying entire new brake

I've just been looking into buying replacement pads and rotors for my BB7's. Depending on the rotor choice (Clean sweep vs. roundagon) + pads = $106-$126, using universal cycles or speedgoat prices.

But I can buy a whole new BB7 brake almost anywhere online for $60. So I can put brand new 2008 brakes on my bike for the price of replacing pads an rotors. So it's either a really good deal on the complete brake, or a total ripoff on the replacement parts. Why even sell replacement parts? It's as if the whole brake is disposable!

mtbr member
    Its just a sign of how good a deal the BB7s are.

Those rotor and pad prices are the same for most of the Avid brakes since rotors are universal and the pads are shared with all Juicys. Unless you go for Alligators or other off brands, rotors will always be expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ha! I needed V-Brake pads a long time ago. $12 a set. Found complete LX brakes for $14 so I "upgraded". If you need pads and rotors it's cheeper to buy a whole new brake and have a spare. Or ebay the caliper.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    I've just been looking into buying replacement pads and rotors for my BB7's. Depending on the rotor choice (Clean sweep vs. roundagon) + pads = $106-$126, using universal cycles or speedgoat prices.

But I can buy a whole new BB7 brake almost anywhere online for $60. So I can put brand new 2008 brakes on my bike for the price of replacing pads an rotors. So it's either a really good deal on the complete brake, or a total ripoff on the replacement parts. Why even sell replacement parts? It's as if the whole brake is disposable!
    Are you suggesting they charge more for the whole set?

I've never had to replace a rotor due to wear.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Are you suggesting they charge more for the whole set?

Uhh, no, I'm suggesting they charge less for the spare parts. That seems to make sense to me. Call me crazy.

My pads need replacing. Rotors aren't necessarily worn out, but are old, and I'm truing them alot. That's when I notice the prices. I will probably just continue to true them.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by steevo
    Uhh, no, I'm suggesting they charge less for the spare parts. That seems to make sense to me. Call me crazy.

My pads need replacing. Rotors aren't necessarily worn out, but are old, and I'm truing them alot. That's when I notice the prices. I will probably just continue to true them.
    Sorry for being a smart@ss It's just that a complete product will always cost far, far less than the sum of the parts. If you replace the rotor and pads, all that's left is the pad-less caliper and adaptor.

( )
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Sorry for being a smart@ss It's just that a complete product will always cost far, far less than the sum of the parts. If you replace the rotor and pads, all that's left is the pad-less caliper and adaptor.
    I guess you're right. I just remember the BB7's being much more expensive, so I was surprised by the new lower price of the whole thing. The price of the parts I never looked into until now.

MTB Addict
    Jun 2007
    The 08 BB7s are cheaper than the older ones. However, they come with the roundagon rotors (yuck).

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the roundagons are meh.

but the 08's are cheaper (and heavier) because its a 2 piece design
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by boomn
    Its just a sign of how good a deal the BB7s are.

Those rotor and pad prices are the same for most of the Avid brakes since rotors are universal and the pads are shared with all Juicys. Unless you go for Alligators or other off brands, rotors will always be expensive.
    Look at Magura Marta SL rotors!!! $75 for a 200mm........ My butt hurt walking out of the shop the first time I had to replace the rotor.

It a tough call on whether to replace parts or get a whole new set up. I will say that when I had my BB7, the Clean Sweep rotors never warped and needed truing. If you dont have the G2 Cleansweeps, it maybe an upgrade
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    One solution, cryo treat your rotors! http://www.diversifiedcryogenics.com/

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If your older BB7 is technical o.k., buy Alligator serrated rotors (Windcutter). They have better braking power bacause of their open design, are much lighter than any Avid rotor, better towards fading than the roundagons and are cheap.

mtbr member
    Personally I think we are being shafted here in the USA by some of the component manufacturer's distributors. You can get an Avid rotor from Chain Reaction Cycles for $30 and a set of pads for $24. Half the price you are saying they cost here.

When I lived in Europe I bought calipers and rotors separately and it works out cheaper than they are charging here in the US.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie
    Personally I think we are being shafted here in the USA by some of the component manufacturer's distributors. You can get an Avid rotor from Chain Reaction Cycles for $30 and a set of pads for $24. Half the price you are saying they cost here.

When I lived in Europe I bought calipers and rotors separately and it works out cheaper than they are charging here in the US.

Ronnie.
    Actually, its about the same price. But $30+$30+24+$24+tax+shipping = greater than $100 like the OP said

Old man on a bike
    It's kind of like buying the bike as a whole vs buying it's components separately. There's just a certain economy of scale. I have only recently replaced rotors from my original BBDBs and noticed just how hard it was to get a deal on rotors particularly. I almost did buy a new complete set of BB7 brakes as a result, but they came with the damn roundagons so didn't go that route.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Mud lover
    Mar 2007
    I've had this with replacing my Roundagons with Clean Sweeps.

The way I look upon it though is that it is all par for the course. If you want better stuff, even if a minor upgrade, it is going to cost.

Lets face it Roundagons function perfectly well. Perhaps not quite as well as some others, but they are certainly good performers on a general scale. Mainly it is aesthetics that put people off the Roundagons.

So really most people could go on using them without issue. But if you want aesthetics it is going to cost some to replace them. Disc rotors, unless damaged beyond repair, aren't going to be replaced often, if at all under normal circumstances. So it isn't surprising that rotors cost what they do.

I just accept it. If they are too expensive and rip into the pockets too much, leave them alone and make do with what you have on the bike at the moment. Save up, and buy something much better at a much later date.

mtbr member
    Actually, its about the same price. But $30+$30+24+$24+tax+shipping = greater than $100 like the OP said
    Actually I was under the impression that the OP was referring to the cost of just one set. I agree that it is a bit far fetched, but is it?

I recently got a Shimano XT M770 crankset from Chain Reaction for $170 and paid $30 delivery. ( Air freight, received it about four days later. There is no tax. ) Universal Cycles have it for $269. Speedgoat as well. If they can sell it for that price in Europe someone here is making a lot of money.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Actually I was under the impression that the OP was referring to the cost of just one set. I agree that it is a bit far fetched, but is it?

I recently got a Shimano XT M770 crankset from Chain Reaction for $170 and paid $30 delivery. ( Air freight, received it about four days later. There is no tax. ) Universal Cycles have it for $269. Speedgoat as well. If they can sell it for that price in Europe someone here is making a lot of money.

Ronnie.
    For the Avid brake parts the Chain Reaction prices are almost identical to the US prices. Math still adds up the same.

Chain Reaction has amazing deals on Shimano stuff compared to the US, but they aren't so hot for much else. Most other brands are priced the same or more expensive. I.E. Hayes Strokers = $218 each!

mtbr member
    For the Avid brake parts the Chain Reaction prices are almost identical to the US prices. Math still adds up the same.

Chain Reaction has amazing deals on Shimano stuff compared to the US, but they aren't so hot for much else. Most other brands are priced the same or more expensive. I.E. Hayes Strokers = $218 each!
    Works for me! Didn't know anyone else makes components.

I should hope that Hayes are cheaper in the US. They are supposed to be an American product.

Ronnie.

mtbr member
    Works for me! Didn't know anyone else makes components.

I should hope that Hayes are cheaper in the US. They are supposed to be an American product.

Ronnie.
    Good point. Its not like there is any crankset I want besides an XT

And the Sram/Avid/Rockshox company is American too. That helps explain it I guess.

mtbr member
    Its not like there is any crankset I want besides an XT .
    Yes there is! XTR.

And the Sram/Avid/Rockshox company is American too. That helps explain it I guess.
    That in itself is interesting. Take for example rear derailleurs.
    SRAM X.O at Speedgoat is $209 on sale.
    Shimano XTR is $173.

It's not as if the SRAM is made here either. They come from the Far East. I'm not sure but I think Taiwan.

Ronnie.

Members who have read this thread: 0