Would this lever work???- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

Would this lever work???

After swinging by my buddies shop the other day I started looking into an idea I had. I found these on ebay for the sake of a picture if you will. But none the less, they are the Cane Creek cross top brake lever. I am curious if you could use this lever as a stand alone lever with an Avid BB7 brake. This is basically the same lever that I have seen on alot of Fixies and even on some cyclo cross set ups.

The weight of these is listed at 70 grams for the set! That is lighter than a set of Pauls if you will. Which I have had before and am considering buying again however, I just thought I would investigate this a little further here and see if anyone thinks it will work.

They say short pull and I don't know if the pull on the BB7 is too long or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cane-Creek-Cross...item3cb2819a9f

SuperInstigator
    I don't think a Mountain BB7 would work with that. The leverage ratio of cable pull to lever travel is not high enough. In other words, Mountain BB7s have a longer cable pull to make the pad move the same distance as a road BB7. There's no reason why road BB7s wouldn't work, but it might look kind of silly with the cable head just sitting outside the lever.

Eh, hopefully someone knows more than I do.
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Low Rep Count
    That was really the one thing I was thinking about as far as the cable tab hanging out the other side if you will. Wasn't sure about the leverage ratio either.

Paul does make one that is designed in a similar fashion that can be used as an inline brake or as a stand alone. But if you are planning to run it as a stand alone then you can shave weight by just buying the Love lever version.

It was just a thought since they weigh about 30 grams less than the Paul's. Oh and appear to cost 1/2 the price!!

mtbr member
    You'd need the 'road' bb7, those levers are meant for cantilever or caliper brakes, not Vs or mountain cable-discs. Also, the clamp is for a road bar, which is larger diameter than a mtb bar (15/16" vs 7/8" if memory serves). It could be shimmed if that's what you are trying to do.

Can't say I get the logic of getting weight weenie levers and pairing them with one of the heaviest brakes you can get, but whatever spins your beanie.

SuperInstigator
    Yessir, it's definitely a neat idea. You could buy some road BB7s as well
    I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you on one of the heavier set of brakes out there. But I already have the brakes but can't stand the stupid rattling of the levers (Avid FR5). I had some XT M775's that worked great until the rear cable blew then I/we (two different local shops) could not get damn thing set up right again. So I went back to my BB7's. Working on getting another set of hydros at the moment and will have something on the bike by spring (marta SL or R1s) but figured I would just do a different set of levers. What ever I end up with will then be put back on the back up bike once the new hydros are procured.

Low Rep Count
    Nope, not buying another set of BB7 (rd or mtb). Next new brakes will either be Marta SL's or Formula R1's! Love the adjustability of the BB7's and they frickn always work. But the weight penalty is pretty high. Granted they are on a Steel framed bike at the moment but the goal is to build up the collection of lighter parts over the winter. Hoping to then build up some wheels and pick up frame/fork by this time next year for new lightweight 29er. Just trying to look down the road if you will.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    After swinging by my buddies shop the other day I started looking into an idea I had. I found these on ebay for the sake of a picture if you will. But none the less, they are the Cane Creek cross top brake lever. I am curious if you could use this lever as a stand alone lever with an Avid BB7 brake. This is basically the same lever that I have seen on alot of Fixies and even on some cyclo cross set ups.

The weight of these is listed at 70 grams for the set! That is lighter than a set of Pauls if you will. Which I have had before and am considering buying again however, I just thought I would investigate this a little further here and see if anyone thinks it will work.

They say short pull and I don't know if the pull on the BB7 is too long or not.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cane-Creek-Cross...item3cb2819a9f
    As the others have said, short pull means you would need the BB7 Road caliper.

Also the lever clamp is meant for drop bars and is too large for MTB straight bars.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0