Will replacing disc rotor decrease brake noise?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Will replacing disc rotor decrease brake noise?

I've got Shimano XT disc rotors and brakes. As my old metallic pads got worn, the rear brake started to squeal terribly. Took it to the bike shop and they were the ones who showed me that the pads were worn, and I replaced them with semi-metallic pads, that were pretty quiet. As these pads wore (fairly quickly), I adjusted the rear brake body to address rubbing. Went on a very long ride and continued to hear rubbing noise, and it wasn't until much later that I noticed the rotor had been rubbing the brake body, and had worn away some of the metal on the brake body. The brake rotor surface looked altered as well. I replaced those worn semi-metallic pads with metal pads, and the rear brake is squealing like crazy again. It is almost unbearable. Furthermore, if I clamp hard with the rear brake on a descent, the squealing turns into a grinding sorta feel/noise. I am wondering if maybe I damaged the rear rotor and replacing it might help the noise go away. Any thoughts?

An obvious thing to try would be semi-metallic or resin pads again, and I ordered some on Pricepoint, but they are on backorder. So in the meantime, while I wait, I was wondering if changing the rear rotor would help, or if it would be a waste of money.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    are your rotors warped? you might have hit something and the rear could be warped..

If you look at it and it is, you can straighten it out with a wrench and a cloth to protect the rotor... my old hayes rotors had a small warp in the and fixing it stopped noises..
    2008 Kona Caldera

"Today I saw my own son use a bicycle as a weapon....
    I seriously thought he was going to rape me"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    They don't look warped. When I spin the wheel and look down at the rotor, it looks in-line throughout the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by k1lluaA
    are your rotors warped? you might have hit something and the rear could be warped..

If you look at it and it is, you can straighten it out with a wrench and a cloth to protect the rotor... my old hayes rotors had a small warp in the and fixing it stopped noises..

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Before replacing the rotor, I'd try cleaning it up. If you've been swapping pad types, then the differing pad types can leave residues on the surface of the rotor.

Use a fine grade (200) of quality wet and dry paper to scuff the rotor surface. Give it a good sanding and clean the rotor afterwards with iso-propyl alcohol.

If your rotor wore into the brake caliper then it sounds like you may also have a significant caliper misalignment problem. You might want to reset alignment and re-torque all the brake mounts.

Members who have read this thread: 0