Will bleeding fix my rubbing issue (M486 brakes, new old stock)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Will bleeding fix my rubbing issue (M486 brakes, new old stock)

Couldn't find an answer in the searching.

Have new M486's, but they've probably been sitting for two years.

I pushed the pads out and did the business card centering trick. But as soon as I pumped the levers, they started rubbing again...the pads are staying too close in to the rotors.

Does this mean they need to be bled? If I take it to a shop to have them bled (was quoted $25 per wheel), should I expect that they'll lube the piston as well in case that's the issue?

I'd really like to just buy new wheels and brakes, but if I can get these to work well enough for a few months, that would be awesome.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Clena the pistons they may be sticking....nice wash with soap and water then rinse...

Pop the wheel and pads...

Move the pistons in and out until both may in and out the same...might take some cleaning...

rinse with Iso propyl...reinstall lightly sand the pads...go and re-bed everything should work..

Don't need to bleed (likly) if the lever is hard and tightens up quickly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Clena the pistons they may be sticking....nice wash with soap and water then rinse...

Pop the wheel and pads...

Move the pistons in and out until both may in and out the same...might take some cleaning...

rinse with Iso propyl...reinstall lightly sand the pads...go and re-bed everything should work..

Don't need to bleed (likly) if the lever is hard and tightens up quickly.
    Lever pull is hard, they stop great and don't feel "soft", they just aren't retracting enough...and retract inconsistently.

Do you lube the piston at all, or should cleaning be enough?
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by livinlite
    Lever pull is hard, they stop great and don't feel "soft", they just aren't retracting enough...and retract inconsistently.

Do you lube the piston at all, or should cleaning be enough?
    I normally put a drop of good teflon chain lube...on the top of each piston when fully extended.

Definately do not over do it, cause it will attract dust (if it is dry out) and bingo another sticky piston.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    I normally put a drop of good teflon chain lube...on the top of each piston when fully extended.

Definately do not over do it, cause it will attract dust (if it is dry out) and bingo another sticky piston.
    Fail.

I must have pushed the piston out too far while trying to clean it. It popped out and now there's no lever pressure.

In to the shop it goes.

User error strikes again...thanks for the tips tho.
    Citius. Altius. Fortius.

Members who have read this thread: 0