Will BB-7 rotors work for Juicy-3 brakes?- Mtbr.com
    Enthusiast

Will BB-7 rotors work for Juicy-3 brakes?

Is there any reason I can't buy some rotors intended for, say, BB-7 brakes and mount them on my bike that has Juicy 3s? Are rotors generally compatible like that?

The reason I ask is that I've been suffering all season long from turkey-wobble up front and screeching in the back. I am wondering if a change in rotors might solve the problem. At this point, I'm willing to try just about anything.

On the noise in back, I've been noticing that when I gently wheel the bike back and forth by a few inches, that I often hear a very slight squeal. That same squeal doesn't appear when I grab the rotor between my fingers while moving the bike. I'm thinking some sort of reasonance thing must be going on, and perhaps a different rotor would solve the problem. It's worth a try, right?

I'm also wondering if a different rotor up front might resolve the turkey-gobble problem.

So I'm curious as to what other brands of rotors I could look at that are compatible with my Juicy-3 brakes.

Meh.
    BB7 rotors will work fine. Rotors are compatible as long as it's the right size and the width of the braking path is wide enough to accommodate the pad.

Squeal sounds more like glaze or a caliper that isn't centered properly.

If you change rotors, you might as well change pads too. The pads have probably worn unevenly.

Try Hayes rotors. I've been running those. Though my brakes have been dead silent with the Avids too...

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Squeal sounds more like glaze or a caliper that isn't centered properly.
    I think the problem is deeper than that. I've been back and forth to the dealer many times since buying the bike. He seems genuinely as frustrated as I've been.

Thanks for the info about the BB7 rotors. I may give those a shot, just to try something different.

Brakes have been a frustrating issue on this particular bike. I don't know why that is. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Meh.
    BB7 and Juicy use the same rotors.

Try the Hayes rotors. Though I doubt that's the problem.

Doesn't sound like you have a particularly good wrench.

The noise could also have to do with improperly torqued hardware, play in the hub or pivots, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0