Why don't Shimano discs brake pads work with Formula rotors?- Mtbr.com
    Recovering couch patato

Why don't Shimano discs brake pads work with Formula rotors?

This was supposed to be a victorious post about me getting it all to work, 525 caliper, avid adapter, 185mm Formula rotor. Glory oh glory, Cloxxki has found a great way to improve braking with 525's. No so.

I bought an Avid 160>185mm adapter to convert my 160mm 525 front brake to 185mm. The 525 is Postmount, too, so I just swapped out the adapters. Adding some washers made it all line up perfectly. Stuck a leftover Formula 185mm rotor on the wheel and I was ready to go.
    Except...spinning the wheel and squeezing the lever, all hell breakes loose, a bad rattling sound, as if an unattached caliper was stuck between the spokes. Well, the pads probably got stuck in the holes of the Formula rotor or something likewise, the stock Shimano's are more like a plate of steel where the Formula is more like Swiss cheese.
    My Shimano pads are almost worn, if that makes a difference, but still feel good when the wheel barely moves. Looks like I failed miserable and now own an Avid adapter no-one cares for in my country, the Avid brakes hardly sell over here.

What makes the Shimano pads grab the Formula rotor's holes, and the Formula pads to go over them? And any hope I can use my adapter to get some more power for my 29" setup?

Thanks all for your thoughts!

J

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    This was supposed to be a victorious post about me getting it all to work, 525 caliper, avid adapter, 185mm Formula rotor. Glory oh glory, Cloxxki has found a great way to improve braking with 525's. No so.

I bought an Avid 160>185mm adapter to convert my 160mm 525 front brake to 185mm. The 525 is Postmount, too, so I just swapped out the adapters. Adding some washers made it all line up perfectly. Stuck a leftover Formula 185mm rotor on the wheel and I was ready to go.
    Except...spinning the wheel and squeezing the lever, all hell breakes loose, a bad rattling sound, as if an unattached caliper was stuck between the spokes. Well, the pads probably got stuck in the holes of the Formula rotor or something likewise, the stock Shimano's are more like a plate of steel where the Formula is more like Swiss cheese.
    My Shimano pads are almost worn, if that makes a difference, but still feel good when the wheel barely moves. Looks like I failed miserable and now own an Avid adapter no-one cares for in my country, the Avid brakes hardly sell over here.

What makes the Shimano pads grab the Formula rotor's holes, and the Formula pads to go over them? And any hope I can use my adapter to get some more power for my 29" setup?

J
    This might not help you much, but I've succesfully run Formula 160 and 140mm rotors with Deore 555 Hydros. No chatter, no pads hanging up on the holes. The 555s also work with Magura and Avid rotors. I'd say look into the pads being the culprit.

Good luck.

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks. I was going to have to get new pads sometime soon anyhow, guess I'll give it a shot before I swap back to the much less sexy Deore rotor.

dead sailor

Bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki

J
    Check the mounting bolts on your calipers, they might be hitting the rotor. Thats what happened to my XT's

Recovering couch patato
    Thanks man, but since I've found that the pads were worn out completely, with the pin exposed that seems to keep the actual pad on the carrier. New BBB pads made it all work like a charme! Now I only have to ind out if more power is also better, for my rigid ss use on that bike. I may have to swap this setup with my other bike that's geared with White Brothers fork, in wet mud, I've so far found late braking to be quite tricky, is too much power possible? Maybe it's something to get used to, being news pads AND bigger new rotor...

Thanks for all your help!

J
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski