mtbr member

Why do my brakes rub only when I'm seated?

I've got Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and the rear one just started this annoying habit of making a rubbing sound (more like a scraping sound actually) but only when I am seated on the bike. I can tune it so it doesn't rub or scrape at all -- until I sit on the bike.

This is annoying and its almost as if the hub/axle is flexing under the weight and causing the rotor to sit slightly skewed. Is that even possible? I don't actually see that happening but that is all I can think of that would cause this behaviour.... anybody had this problem before? Thanks!

Meh.
    Frame flex if it rubs when you're sitting on it and going in a straight line. It happens alot actually. Very common with Ti frames.

mtbr member

Frame flex -- troubling

Frame flex sounds like trouble because this symptom appeared suddenly during a ride (and hasn't gone away). (And its not Ti, its a Kona Dawg, aluminum).

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Quote Originally Posted by psmithm
    Frame flex sounds like trouble because this symptom appeared suddenly during a ride (and hasn't gone away). (And its not Ti, its a Kona Dawg, aluminum).
    Pull that wheel out and see if you broke an axle, cracked a rotor mount or damaged a bearing. If it came on suddenly, that suggests a bent or broken part to me.

Kathy
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

Meh.
    Nevermind then, those frames aren't flexy. Check the hub for any side to side up and down play. See if there are any spots where it doesn't spin smoothly. If it has play, overhaul the hub. If it has rough spots, the axle may be bent, suggest replacing the axle. Bolt-ons are the most secure, but if you want QRs, run the XT/XTR skewers. They're one of the only true cam-action QR skewers on the market.

Members who have read this thread: 0