wholly crap vbrakes suck when its wet out- Mtbr.com
    rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010

wholly crap vbrakes suck when its wet out

Ok So i'm a total NOOB to bike technology. I bought my first real mountain bike this past summer a fisher wahoo with v brakes as its all they had and i really liked the bike. At the time i thought who needs disc anyway, i never had a prob stopping in all my 40 years using rim type brakes. Lately i"ve been really getting into the whole passion thing. call it a midlife crisis but i'm hooked.
    Well yesterday i almost killed myself twice. When the bike just would not stop. It had just started to mist out and just started to make the leaves wet and create wet conditions. First time going down a rooted hill i was trying to slow my descent a little and she just would not respond SO i grab a little harder and whammo the front grabbed harder than the rear and i go OTB crap that freakin scared the crap out of me. Dust myself off and proceed to go a little further up the trail same situation going down a rutted hill with a sharp turn at bottom in sand trying to slow and this time i purpously avoid the front brake until i almost slam my front tire and body into a large tree. Who decided that was a good place for that tree anyway. So at the last second i grab front brake and again OTB but i ddint hit the tree. Bike good I'm good a little bruised but good.
    So my question is are disc that much better or should i get different pads. I really like the bike and intend on upgrading it over time. Or should i just sell it and buy a bike with better components. Please help this NOOB out before the wife commits me for being crazy and ending up in a body cast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Had Vs on an old Bianchi HT and had a similar "DH" experience on a wet, clay-filled PA singletrack. Didn't go OTB but felt at the edge of brake failure in a white-knuckle kinda way.

Went to a new disc-brake ride (Elixir CR hydros) running 203mm front/160mm rear rotors. Much, much better and definitely worth the money!

meow meow
    discs are much better in the rain. but to upgrade your wahoo you're looking at running up quite the bill. a new bike would probably serve you better.

Former Bike Wrench
    Well for starters you have crappy v-brakes...a better set of brakes will go a long way. Avid SD7's are a solid but affordable choice. Second, you need wet weather pads, the Salmon colored Kool Stop pads are a significant improvement in the wet.

Still...you won't get as good of braking as a set of good (and there are crappy ones, especially on lower priced new bikes) set of discs. It would run around $300 to replace the wheels and brakes (Avid BB7's).

i be lurkin
    avid bb7s are a good entry into discs http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Mechanica.../dp/B001E0PZWS
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    BB7s are awesome. Don't bother with the BB5's. They're only marginally cheaper and not nearly as good (I made that mistake with my first disc setup)
    Opinions are like a**holes: Sometimes they need to be punched in the face and told to STFU.

rg1
    mtbr member
    May 2010
    I kind of figured that everyone would tell me to upgrade so avid bb7's are the way to go? they will give me years of service? Which wheels should i get as the current wheels i have do not have hubs that accept disc.

bi-winning
    Kool Stop Salmon pads will deliver a noticeable improvement in wet weather braking.

In general, disc brakes are much better in wet conditions.

I've been using the same set BB7 calipers for 5 years. No major complaints.

If you are really getting hooked on MTB, take some time to consider the cost of upgrading your current bike vs. getting a higher end bike. If you choose to upgrade your wheels, brakes, and another major item like the fork, you will quickly end up spending as much as you did for the initial purchase of the bike.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    And don't worry...you'll end up in that body cast with or without disk brakes. Welcome to mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I remember when V-brakes first came out on the market back in 1995-96. Everyone was like "wow, great brakes." They were much better than cantilever brakes but still they had very poor modulation (the ability to feather and slowly brake with minimal locking). I also went OTB on an emergency brake situation. Now I'm very good at modulating.

There's so many disadvantages to rim brakes, poor modulation, fast rim wear, possible tube blowouts from heat on long descents, arm pump. The only advantage, less weight and cost.

If you're serious about mtn biking, think about spending a little extra $$ now and you'll enjoy safer, faster trail rides.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rg1
    I kind of figured that everyone would tell me to upgrade so avid bb7's are the way to go? they will give me years of service? Which wheels should i get as the current wheels i have do not have hubs that accept disc.
    I started MTB with a wahoo w/ tektro v brakes and can tell you it is worth upgrading vs buying a new bike. I bought some avid bb7's and a new wheelset at a great price from bicycle wheel warehouse. For about 250$ I was set up with disc brakes that performed very well (still nowhere near hydros however).

MrR

Members who have read this thread: 0