Who Makes the BEST Disc Brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Who Makes the BEST Disc Brakes

I May need to be upgrading brakes on my DH. Currently have Juicy 3. Who makes the best disc brakes for DH/Freeride application. Stroker, Gustav, Code, XX?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I use avid juicy 7, fitted with 200mm/165mm Shimano centrelocks.
    I can't imagine any 'better' brake, all I need is there, when I want it!
    I guess you can always go lighter, for a price.......

Singletracker
    Jun 2005
    Hope is the best. Full stop.

...idios...
    Depends how you define "best".

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Is this a loaded question?....

You'll probably get as many different answers as there are bake manufacturers out there. And it will all be oppinionated and scewed by a riders past experiences.

I've had good experiences with Avid, Hayes, and Hope. Of the three I think Hope makes the better brakes from a quality standpoint, and they are pretty. But all are serviceable and work well. But this is my oppinion based on my experience. There are others out there that are likely just as serviceable, Shimano, Formula, Magura, etc. That I have not had any experience with. So "the best brakes", that's highly subjective.

If I were going to set up a DH bike I'd go with the Avid Code, or the Hope M4, depending on my budget. Are they "the best"? Like SteveUK says, "depends on how you define "best". But I do know that both of the above brakes are solid, good quality, powerful, and highly adjustable. And both companies have good customer service and tech departments, with the knod going to Hope for their willingness to send replacement parts directly to the customer in some cases.

Anyway, your call. You likely get quite a few different oppinions on this one.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    For your intended riding...Magura Gustav, Shimano Saint, Hope M4 and Avid Code are among the finest made...
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Shimano Saints IMO!!!! I have been running the HOPE MONO 6 ti,s and HOPE MOTOs both six piston calipers for years and in comparsion to the SAINTS I just bought the SAINTS are WAY better but EXPENSIVE just gotta find a DEAL on them as i did..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    6 piston Moto's? Gotta see those!

look 986
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_neon
    Hope is the best. Full stop.
    As if!
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

look 986
    Dec 2009
    For down hill the saint are the best. This is a fact proven by a German mountain bike magazine who done a test in a lab. If you search on here you should be able to find a thread about it. I use formula r1's and they are amazing for what i use them for so i would imagine that formula the ones would be a good shout for down hilling too

~Disc~Golf~
    MX comp side-pull BMX
    Honestly... ahh I give up

look 986
    Dec 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I changed out Juicy 3's for Formula Oro K24 with 8" rotors. Formulas are super easy to set-up, modulate perfectly, never get sticky or unpredictable, have easy stroke adjusters at the levers (for lever position as pads wear), are super easy to change pads on, and are generally carefree. The Aavids overheated, were "sticky", and unpredictable. I decend Diablo every few days. The Jucy 3's would last two runs and then the turky gobble, stickyness, fade, and all the other balony would set in. I'd sand the rotors and pads and start the whole process over again-bah. They just couldn't handle the long decents. The formulas have been flawless. They are especailly sweet on the long decents with lots of corners, steeps, etc. of Mr. Toads, etc.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Saint's included in a big UK brake test:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/c...brake-10-37432

look 986
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaff
    I changed out Juicy 3's for Formula Oro K24 with 8" rotors. Formulas are super easy to set-up, modulate perfectly, never get sticky or unpredictable, have easy stroke adjusters at the levers (for lever position as pads wear), are super easy to change pads on, and are generally carefree. The Aavids overheated, were "sticky", and unpredictable. I decend Diablo every few days. The Jucy 3's would last two runs and then the turky gobble, stickyness, fade, and all the other balony would set in. I'd sand the rotors and pads and start the whole process over again-bah. They just couldn't handle the long decents. The formulas have been flawless. They are especailly sweet on the long decents with lots of corners, steeps, etc. of Mr. Toads, etc.
    +1 on Formula

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    THE MOTOs are just slightly different then the MONO 6 ti s . the caliper is the same as mono 6 tis but the brake lever and resevoir are different basically newer version of the ORIGINAL mono 6 tis. I have herd that you can run the MOTOs with the V2 caliper .

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Colin M. With all due respect I have no idea what you are on about.

The 6 Ti's were 6 piston beasts. They used IIRC the Mono lever. The V2's can be found in 2 variations: the older Moto levers (which pushed more oil than the mono lever) or the Tech lever with a slightly updated piston. The Moto's/AKA V2's/Tech V2's are single piston brakes and nothing like the Mono 6ti's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh. The best brakes. Let me answer.

1990 Shimano XT Cantilever center-pull with NEW pads.

Oh Yeah Baby!

Actually the Hope Race X2s 160/140 setup on my SworksEpic is truely one-finger good braking.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by egebhardt
    Oh. The best brakes. Let me answer.

1990 Shimano XT Cantilever center-pull with NEW pads.

Oh Yeah Baby!

Actually the Hope Race X2s 160/140 setup on my SworksEpic is truely one-finger good braking.
    Hope race X2's for FR/DH???? Get a grip!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    WEESCOTT, my motos use the SIX PISTON caliper same as the MONO TI caliper. IT says mono6 on the caliper and MOTO on the RESEVIOR and brake lever I KNOW WHAT I HAVE DUE YOU?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You mean you have the old 6Ti's with Moto leavers as found on the Moto V2? I have seen the Mono 6Ti's but never a Moto 6Ti.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Formula

Formula was the highest rated brake in a very objective review done by one of the British Mtn biking journals. They especially like the R1's and 'The One's' in there ratings.
    The testing was done on testing benches and subjectively on bikes. They probably rated 30 different brake models.
    I use them oro's and the first model of 'The One's', and I like them a lot.
    Cheers,

Kane

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    +2 on formula i run MEGA'S with 185 front and rear, love em! i have an old pair of shimano xt 755's too they are almost as nice.

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by weescott
    You mean you have the old 6Ti's with Moto leavers as found on the Moto V2? I have seen the Mono 6Ti's but never a Moto 6Ti.
    The pistons are phenolic, not Ti. They are different to the Ti version because the Moto lever shifts more fluid. It also has almost no flex, which was big negative against the Mini lever assembly. More power than the V2 and with better modulation - I presume that the Moto M6 was dropped by Hope in order to simplify the range and manufacturing processes. The six piston set-up could also be a little finicky to get tuned in properly.

Try doing your homework before you start *****ing at people.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've got some R1's, which have the most power of and WW type XC brake I've tried (Hope, shimano, Avid). Hopefully it would follow that some of their burlier models would have a similar increase in power as to their weight.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

wuss
    I've liked both Hope and Magura brakes after trying several models from both. With Hopes I've noticed a tendany to sticky pistons and noise in the wet, but the feeling when they work is the best I experienced. From Shimano I've only tried LX and Deore and both where very numb feeling, but seem fairly reliable. The new models have changed quite a bit and most who have tried seem to like them. I've used several set's of juicies and never liked them, but did not try the newer Avids. Even the entry level Magura Julies blow Juicy 7's away in regard to modulation but cook a lot easier.

Now I'm running Hope Tech V2's and they rock.

Members who have read this thread: 1