Who has the biggest Pad Gap Stroke?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who has the biggest Pad Gap Stroke?

I want disc brakes with a big pad gap stroke: a nice wide gap where the rotor can rotate with out-of-true and frame flexing freedom. Hydraulic only ...

I will start the list off at the bottom with what is the narrowest pad gap stroke I have ever seen: the Hayes HFX nine. They only have about 500 miles on them and the pistons seem to settled in a spot less than the thickness of a business card away from the rotors. Needless to say - this is a difficult gap to maintain. Wheel changes, sand, slight rotor off-trueness can all cause a very squeaky ride. There are no mechanical adjusters on this brake.

I don't care if I have to hold the lever to the bar to get the brakes to work - though it would be cool if there were a v-brake style hydraulic piston - that traveled more through the pad gap stroke until brake modulation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavey
    I want disc brakes with a big pad gap stroke: a nice wide gap where the rotor can rotate with out-of-true and frame flexing freedom. Hydraulic only ...

I will start the list off at the bottom with what is the narrowest pad gap stroke I have ever seen: the Hayes HFX nine. They only have about 500 miles on them and the pistons seem to settled in a spot less than the thickness of a business card away from the rotors. Needless to say - this is a difficult gap to maintain. Wheel changes, sand, slight rotor off-trueness can all cause a very squeaky ride. There are no mechanical adjusters on this brake.

I don't care if I have to hold the lever to the bar to get the brakes to work - though it would be cool if there were a v-brake style hydraulic piston - that traveled more through the pad gap stroke until brake modulation.
    between the hayes, avid and formula brakes i've owned, formulas definitely...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vtdavey

Shimano XTRs

agu
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Or the Shimano XT 775s

Members who have read this thread: 0