What would you do in this situation (centralizing a Hope caliper)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

New question here. What would you do in this situation (centralizing a Hope caliper)?

This situation is temporary since I am planning on building up a new wheelset with DT 240s hubs and changing my fork lower to a 15mm with post mount. All that will happen sometime in the spring.

In the meantime… I have my hope X2 pros set up and they feel great. There is no rubbing and there is plenty of power. But after cleaning the bike yesterday and looking at my set up closer I see it is a bit flawed. I tried moving the caliper but it turns out it is mounted at the limit of the oval mounting tab hole. You can also see from the photo that one piston is all the way in so it is not possible to get a perfectly even pad gap. The rotor will flex ever so slightly at this point to the side with more gap.

My thought is I could elongate the oval holes on the caliper mounting tabs. The IS mount cannot be shimmed as there is barley any clearance at this point to the rotor. A shim could go between the hub and fork but I would rather not mess with the wheel alignment.

My other thought is to just leave it alone for now as the rotor is not rubbing and the brake feels great. And it will only be this way until I get the new wheelset / fork in the spring.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Pic of what is going on...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You could always try the LBS and get them to face the disc tabs. It would only require a small bit removed, and the benefit would be you would know the fork was then perfect, and you'd done nothing to your nice shiny brakes!!!
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Alex that is a great idea! I'm guessing only 1-2mm of material would have to be removed. Thanks for the suggestion...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    in addition to facing the tabs, you could try shimming the rotor (syntace makes some nice rotor shims), just a tiny bit and then you would have more adjustment room

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    in addition to facing the tabs, you could try shimming the rotor (syntace makes some nice rotor shims), just a tiny bit and then you would have more adjustment room
    Thanks for the suggestion crisillo! But there is barley any clearance between the rotor and IS mount at this point. It's so close that I'm actually amazed there is no rubbing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    Thanks for the suggestion crisillo! But there is barley any clearance between the rotor and IS mount at this point. It's so close that I'm actually amazed there is no rubbing.
    yeah..but there will be a bit more after facing and the shims are really, really slim (0.2mm)...so you might be able to play a bit....

https://syntace.com/index.cfm?pid=3&pk=757#

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

One thing at a time...

try facing the tabs. And then if you need to you can fiddle with shims. Facing the tabs though should give you what you need.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    try facing the tabs. And then if you need to you can fiddle with shims. Facing the tabs though should give you what you need.

Good Dirt
    Ditto.... I forgot to say it in my suggestion, but I only meant to use the shims if further adjustment is needed after facing....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I think the shims would make matters worse... They would be moving the rotor in the WRONG direction. Take a look at my pic again...

I think I found a LBS that works with Hope brakes to do this. Then they can check the alignment after facing the tabs to see how it helped...

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickbee
    Correct me if I'm wrong guys but I think the shims would make matters worse... They would be moving the rotor in the WRONG direction. Take a look at my pic again...

I think I found a LBS that works with Hope brakes to do this. Then they can check the alignment after facing the tabs to see how it helped...

Thanks!
    correct.... in your current situation they would.... first just do the facing...

the shims would only come into the game, if, in order to have the tabs perfectly aligned (as product of facing the tabs), you ended up too far in the other direction.

now seeing the pics again, I think it is very unlikely...

switchback sculptor
    -1 on rotor shimz.
    You're right, it would move the rotor the wrong way.
    Facing is probably your best bet.

I'm not familiar with your hub, but could the end caps be adjusted to justify towards the non-disk side?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The wheels I'm using now are crossrides. I don't think they have adjustable end caps. I'll report back after facing the tabs. The brake is working great already. But I'd rather have the caliper aligned properly!

Thanks again!

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006

Any update?

I have a similar problem except that the rotor is rubbing (new X2s mated to Chris King hub). It seems like the caliper does not have enough ability to move close to the inside of the fork leg.

grumpy...

bobo

Members who have read this thread: 0