What Type of Pads to buy...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What Type of Pads to buy...

I have a Raleigh M80 with the Shimano m475 Mechanical disc brake system. I've had my bike for less than a year, I do a fair amount of riding in mud. What is a good judge of when I should replace my pads? My follow up question is whether or not there is a particular brand of pad that works better with my system, do I have buy shimano replacements or will say Aztec pads work just as well if not better?

Thanks

the Truth will set u free

Here is what Shimano says about replacing the pads...

Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    I have a Raleigh M80 with the Shimano m475 Mechanical disc brake system. I've had my bike for less than a year, I do a fair amount of riding in mud. What is a good judge of when I should replace my pads? My follow up question is whether or not there is a particular brand of pad that works better with my system, do I have buy shimano replacements or will say Aztec pads work just as well if not better?
    Here is what Shimano says about replacing the pads:
    • Before riding the bicycle, check that the pad thicknesses are 0.5 mm or more.
    • If noise occurs when the brakes are operated, it may indicate that the brake pads have worn down to their usage limit. After checking that the brake system has cooled down sufficiently, check the brake pad thicknesses.
    • Replace the brake pads if the pad wear indicators are visible.
    You can download the M475 Service Instructions in PDF format here:
    http://www.shimano-europe.com/cyclin...I-8C90B-EN.pdf

It includes a couple of diagrams that show you the pad thickness, and also indicates where the pad wear indicators are on the brake pads.
    2001 Ellsworth Truth

mtbr member

EBC makes great pads...

...and if they make them for your brake I highly recommend them. I use EBC golds with my Avid disks, and think they are much better than stock. Koolstop is also a very fine maker of brake pads for both standard and disk brakes. You really can't go wrong with EBC or Koolstop.

IMHO, Shimano makes great stuff out of aluminum, but their brake pads (both V and hydro) have always left something to be desired. Their ceramic pads are dreadful, actually screwing up otherwise fine ceramic rims. They should really exit the brake pad business and concentrate their efforts on forcing me to use lesser designs than 8-speed rapidfire drivetrains.

Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Goddy

Thanks
    I'll be along... eventually.