what rotor size??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

what rotor size??

How do I know what rotor size to run? I'm running an 05 fox float RLC with the new shimano xtr m975 calipers. Also, do I have to use Shimano rotors with the xtr calipers? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Ok, I've found that I can run either 160 or 180 rotors with my fork and that I can run different brands of rotors with the xtr calipers. What I still don't know is will both sizes of rotor fit my BR-M975 calipers with the stock configuration or do I need some kind of adapter bracket to move the caliper for one of the sizes? Thanks.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    there are 3 XTR calipers a postmount, and for IS (like your 05 fox fork): a "160 front" and "160 rear".

for using a 180mm rotor up front you can use
    - a "160 rear" caliper
    - a +20mm IS-to-IS adapter on the "160 front" caliper
    - the PM caliper with and IS-to-PM adapter for 180mm front
    Last edited by crisillo; 10-11-2007 at 08:37 AM.

"C'mon think about it!"
    Oct 2007
    Did your Calipers come supplied with adapters? Generally, yes the larger the disk the further away from the mounts the caliper is positioned (braordly speaking) so need an adapter to facilitate this action.

If your's were supplied with adapters could be that they will take a 160mm rotor, only way to be sure is to check with your LBS of where ever you got them from.

If no adapter, then there will be a Shimano one to suite, they shouldn't cost mega pounds (dollars!)
    I really should put an imaginative witty remark often paradoxing life in some way in here, but i cant be bothered!

mtbr member
    I haven't actually gotten my parts yet. Here is the set I ordered. It comes with all mounting hardwear. http://sports.webshots.com/album/559592530lQScZR I'm not sure about any adapters. If you can figure out anything else from the link, please let me know. Thanks for the replies fellas.

"C'mon think about it!"
    Oct 2007
    "Shimano XTR cutting edge braking technology, specifically designed to fit international standard rear frame mounts directly with a 160 mm rotor"

this is from another US web site, link below.

http://www.yorkcycleworks.com/produc...m2b33s102p1158

hope this helps
    I really should put an imaginative witty remark often paradoxing life in some way in here, but i cant be bothered!

mtbr member
    Thanks man, that's more than I have found!! It's looking like I might just go with 160mm rotors and hope for the best! I can always return them if I have to. Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    I just found out from the shop where I ordered my parts that the setup I ordered is for 160mm rotors. It will require adapters to run 180mm. Thanks again for the input.

Members who have read this thread: 0