what is the HAYES chronology?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

what is the HAYES chronology?

OK, So I am getting back into mountain biking and I had some old hayes brakes for the front of my bike. I wanted to add some for the rear finally, so I did a lot of research on the brakes. Any hayes experts out there, feel free to provide more info:

Chrono order ?

1. Hayes-Champagne colored with yellow and purple writing (some made out of magnesium)
    2. Hayes Mags-Black with yellow lettering
    3. Hayes Mags-Black with white lettering
    4. Hayes Mag HFX-Black with white lettering and black levers (slightly different caliper, what is different in the mechanics?)
    5. Hayes HFX-9
    6. Hayes 9?
    7. Hayes El camino
    8. Hayes stroker line?

In a weird twist of events (I got a new fork) I have to do away with my original front MAG (Champagne) because it uses a really rare 71mm post size, and NO one makes adapters for that anymore. I found a rear Black MAG for my bike, used really cheap. now I have to get rid of the front, so it looks like I found a decent deal on the MAG HFX brand new on Cambria for $49. This pretty much looks like the exact lever the MAG uses, so they will basically look very similar. (now I am getting off topic)

Anyone know what the differences are between the MAG and the MAG HFX? then the HFX-9?

Thanks
    Last edited by rodH; 12-11-2009 at 11:44 PM.

ride hard take risks
    Mag you need to remove the grip to mount or dismount the master, HFX Mag has a C type clamp making a 2 piece master. I believe the Black with White is the first year of the G2 caliper.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    Mag you need to remove the grip to mount or dismount the master, HFX Mag has a C type clamp making a 2 piece master. I believe the Black with White is the first year of the G2 caliper.

great, what is the G2? dual piston?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by rodH
    great, what is the G2? dual piston?
    Hole on top of the caliper to dissipate heat.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    G1

G2

I think your timeline has some repeats. Here's mine:

1. original hayes disc brakes - with G1 caliper, open MC, 1 piece lever
    2. hayes purple - DH vers of above
    3. HFX line - HFX comp, mag, carbon - basically the same as the original but with 2 piece lever flip flop lever
    4. G2 caliper and HFX9 both at the same time, HFX9 used a closed MC which isn't as good as the open one
    5. El Camino
    6. Strokers

Oh yeah, the old mount is 68mm not 71. The current PM is 74mm
    Last edited by vk45de; 12-12-2009 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    G1

G2

I think your timeline has some repeats. Here's mine:

1. original hayes disc brakes - with G1 caliper, open MC, 1 piece lever
    2. hayes purple - DH vers of above
    3. HFX line - HFX comp, mag, carbon - basically the same as the original but with 2 piece lever flip flop lever
    4. G2 caliper and HFX9 brought in at the same time, HFX9 used a closed MC which isn't as good as the open one
    5. El Camino
    6. Strokers

Oh yeah, the old mount is 68mm not 71. The current PM is 74mm
    A couple corrections to your info:
    1. The HFX Mag has a G2 caliper, at least the one I ordered has one https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....LIC+DISC+BRAKE

2. They came in 71mm, believe me, I learned the hard way. I bought a 74mm mount and it got here and it didn't fit, measured it and it comes up as 71mm. Did more research and here it is: The first year they did the Hayes Disc Brakes, in the champagne color they did them in 71mm, and it was ONLY a one year deal. I tried like crazy to find a new or used 71mm adaptor and they can't be found ANYWHERE!!

I am getting ready to sell a bunch of my old junk and these mounts are so hard to find, that I figure I probably have to sell the brake with the mount, otherwise no one will beable to mount it. The brake works fine, I just can't find a POST adapter for my Float 32.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    another quick question. When did Hayes really get surpassed by the competition, was that when the El Camino's came out or are the Strokers still vastly inferior to the competition as well?

Former Bike Wrench
    A couple corrections to your info:
    1. The HFX Mag has a G2 caliper, at least the one I ordered has one https://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd....LIC+DISC+BRAKE
    The HFX-Mag came with the G1 caliper originally then switched to the G2 in 2003

Also, there was a HFX-Comp in the early 00's that used a composite master cylinder and G1 calipers.

mtbr member
    2. They came in 71mm, believe me, I learned the hard way. I bought a 74mm mount and it got here and it didn't fit, measured it and it comes up as 71mm. Did more research and here it is: The first year they did the Hayes Disc Brakes, in the champagne color they did them in 71mm, and it was ONLY a one year deal. I tried like crazy to find a new or used 71mm adaptor and they can't be found ANYWHERE!!
    I know what you're taking about, but I'm saying it was 68mm. I had a set on my old bighit and an adaptor for it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    Also, there was a HFX-Comp in the early 00's that used a composite master cylinder and G1 calipers.
    I know about that. Actually, the G1 picture I showed you is of my HFX-comp

But yeah, I have a feeling the El Caminos were the only black sheep

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nope. Mine is a 71. It even says it on the adapter. 68 was far more common.

mtbr member
    O then I didn't know about it. Anyways, I've never seen HFX mags that cheap, maybe you should share in the deals forum. I'd go for strokers though for $20 more

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    O then I didn't know about it. Anyways, I've never seen HFX mags that cheap, maybe you should share in the deals forum. I'd go for strokers though for $20 more
    I went for the HFX-Mag because I wanted something that would match my black MAG on the other side (I just needed a front because I cant find a 71mm adapter ANYWHERE), otherwise, if I were looking at a set of brakes, I probably would have gone a different route.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    where is the "deals" section?

Meh.
    HFX 9 is an open system. They all were. Closed system cannot compensate for pad wear or fluid expansion.

I'm confused... all G2 calipers are 74mm post mount. The cambria link is also a 74mm PM.

mtbr member
    I have a set of HFX Mags. Both calipers are G2 and 74mm.
    Originally Posted by Vtolds/Dremer03---- "assume any bikes left unlocked and unattended are free to take"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Now you got me thinking, I might be spending way to much money on some old brakes, maybe I should just start over and get some new ones. I just started another thread, so I didn't get to off topic here, asking which brake would be best for me.
    Last edited by rodH; 12-13-2009 at 09:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    HFX 9 is an open system. They all were. Closed system cannot compensate for pad wear or fluid expansion.

I'm confused... all G2 calipers are 74mm post mount. The cambria link is also a 74mm PM.
    His were probably the old G1 or at least looked similar. I was surprised at the 71mm as well. Appearently, Hayes made 68, 71, and 74mm post mounts.... That's y his doesn't fit on new fork so he has to buy new brake.

where is the "deals" section?
    Intead of "brake time" There's another forums called "where are the best deals"
    http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

The White Jeff W
    You can get Strokers on Jenson for $70 bucks. Great price for solid brakes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kaging+09.aspx

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    You can get Strokers on Jenson for $70 bucks. Great price for solid brakes.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...kaging+09.aspx
    Thats what I am leaning towards. I think it is coming down to.'
    1. Stroker Trails $69X2 new
    2. Stroker Carbon $99X2 new
    3. Juicy Ultimates $180 for set, used, mint

thoughts?

Meh.
    30 dollars extra is not worth the carbon lever.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thats what I am thinking, plus the place that has them for $69 stroker is close to my house so I can save on shipping, so $30x2 plus probably $10 shipping means saving at least $70 just for go away from the carbon lever. Also, the white Stroker trail looks really sweet too.

ride hard take risks
    Thats what I am thinking, plus the place that has them for $69 stroker is close to my house so I can save on shipping, so $30x2 plus probably $10 shipping means saving at least $70 just for go away from the carbon lever. Also, the white Stroker trail looks really sweet too.
    Strokers are awesome, agree the CF is not worth the bling.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    lol the way you wrote it looks like the $30 extra in your pocket isn't worth sacrificing a carbon lever

mtbr member
    another quick question. When did Hayes really get surpassed by the competition, was that when the El Camino's came out or are the Strokers still vastly inferior to the competition as well?
    I think they lost their way with the El Abortion-o, but the Strokers are a good line up, capable of going up against any other system on the market.
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by rsquared28
    I think they lost their way with the El Abortion-o, but the Strokers are a good line up, capable of going up against any other system on the market.
    All companies will have whats known as the Bstard child product but some will love those. Cant knock technology for working on advancements even if they are a failure to many.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72
    The HFX-Mag came with the G1 caliper originally then switched to the G2 in 2003

Yep. I still run my Comp front brake on my 08 Reign. It's been on 3 different bikes and just don't have any reason to replace it. G1 caliper, same pads as the G2's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Check out this link.

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/hayesu_product1.shtml

about halfway down they list a chrono of their product lines. It's out of date, as they stop at 2007.

Members who have read this thread: 0