Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: what happened

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    184

    what happened

    Hello there, today I had to flip my bike upside down, to fix a chain issue, after a few or 5 min , Shimano hydraulic brakes , had almost no braking power, levers where very loose, after a few pulls they got some tension , but still loose not as they where before, don't know what to do to fix it, any help

    Thanks

  2. #2
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Bleed the brakes, you got air in the system.


    Magura

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,431
    Air bubbles in the lines....needs a bleed
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,762
    Quote Originally Posted by kukulkan View Post
    Hello there, today I had to flip my bike upside down, to fix a chain issue, after a few or 5 min , Shimano hydraulic brakes , had almost no braking power, levers where very loose, after a few pulls they got some tension , but still loose not as they where before, don't know what to do to fix it, any help

    Thanks
    Yup bleed em, as the others have suggested. It is not uncommon on an open system to have a little air in the master cylinder after they've been used for a while, or even from the factory sometimes. When you turned the bike upside down any air bubbles in the MC followed the tendency of air bubbles in liquid to rise and found their way into the lines. A good bleed should purge the air.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    184
    thanks people, will check you tube , first time attempting this, so no clue of what items do I need etc, any suggestions in where can I check other than you tube. Are disk mechanical brakes less hustle to work and maintain?
    Thanks

  6. #6
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,111
    Quote Originally Posted by kukulkan View Post
    thanks people, will check you tube , first time attempting this, so no clue of what items do I need etc, any suggestions in where can I check other than you tube. Are disk mechanical brakes less hustle to work and maintain?
    Thanks
    Shimano has a manual for bleeding the brakes.

    Hydraulics are no hassle to bleed, you just gotta find a manual, and it will take you 15 min.


    Magura

  7. #7
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    and....

    Quote Originally Posted by kukulkan View Post
    thanks people, will check you tube , first time attempting this, so no clue of what items do I need etc, any suggestions in where can I check other than you tube. Are disk mechanical brakes less hustle to work and maintain?
    Thanks
    .... go buy a little bottle of Shimano Mineral Oil brake fluid. Your LBS should carry it.

    Sometimes, as a quick and dirty fix...

    Let the bike sit right-side-up for a while.

    Remove the rear (or offending) wheel.

    Position the bike so the brake reservoir is the highest point in the brake line. (all of my bikes have Titec H-Bars, so sometimes the brake line arcs up, then back down to the lever, for instance).

    Push the brake pads all the way apart.

    If you're lucky, this will squirt the air bubble out of the brake line and back into the brake fluid reservoir. Plant to do a top up and air purge of the reservoir later, but you can ride just fine for now as long as you don't flip the bike over.

    Now, put your wheel back in and give the lever a few squeezes to push the brake pads back into adjustment. Do this with your bars angled so the brake line is pointing a bit downhill out of the brake lever.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by kukulkan View Post
    Hello there, today I had to flip my bike upside down, to fix a chain issue, after a few or 5 min , Shimano hydraulic brakes , had almost no braking power, levers where very loose, after a few pulls they got some tension , but still loose not as they where before, don't know what to do to fix it, any help

    Thanks
    Happened to Buddy....flipped the bike upside down to fix a flat...gets back on we bomb down under a bridge...

    He has zero for brakes.....hits a guard rail with his hip and damn near went over the rail into the river. Big bruise...

    Everytime you get on a bike, just stab both brakes to make sure they are still there...really simple habit to get into.

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Does the Shitmano's bleeding involve de-gassing like Avid does?

  10. #10
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    Ha....

    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    Does the Shitmano's bleeding involve de-gassing like Avid does?

    I have to chuckle at somebody referring to 'Shitmano' by an Avid user. *snicker*

    I can't tell you how many Avid brake owners I know who have chucked their brakes in the trash.

    What do you mean, de-gassing? You mean, chasing the bubbles out of the brake fluid? Yeah, it's called bleeding. It's not that hard.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Happened to Buddy....flipped the bike upside down to fix a flat...gets back on we bomb down under a bridge...

    He has zero for brakes.....hits a guard rail with his hip and damn near went over the rail into the river. Big bruise...

    Everytime you get on a bike, just stab both brakes to make sure they are still there...really simple habit to get into.
    That is crazy, pretty sure your friend wont do it again. I almost lost it to

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    184
    I found a Shimano manual on line once didn't understand crap, but after seeing some videos it started to make sense, will look for it again , will buy the mineral oil and give it a big try.

    Thanks fellows, will keep you posted of my results

  13. #13
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    7,168
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I have to chuckle at somebody referring to 'Shitmano' by an Avid user. *snicker*

    I can't tell you how many Avid brake owners I know who have chucked their brakes in the trash.

    What do you mean, de-gassing? You mean, chasing the bubbles out of the brake fluid? Yeah, it's called bleeding. It's not that hard.
    No, not chasing the bubbles out of the fluid... Degassing is when you draw a vacuum in the line to pull dissolved gas out of the fluid. Maybe we're talking about the same thing, using different verbiage...?

    As for Shitmano vs Avid, maybe those users haven't set up their goods correctly, cause I've dumped Shitmano in EVERY component for the Avid/Sram group. What's the major complaint w/ Avid (brakes?)? Is it power, modulation, ergo, weight, etc...?

    The '08/09 Codes are a joke... but the Elixirs are working perfectly well for me. I even have a set of 5 year old Juicy Carbons that's rocking just perfectly well. The disclaimer: I do swap out every set of my Avids (7 sets total) w/ Goodridge hoses, and mix/match calipers for front/rear braking strength...Elixir/Juicy frt/rr for trail bikes, Code/Elixir frt/rr for my DH bikes.

    If you know anyone else chucking their Avids in the trash, let me know...I'll pay for their shipping to send them my way

Similar Threads

  1. What happened to FR?
    By Damitletsride! in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-07-2006, 12:15 PM
  2. what happened?
    By thirdy lopez in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2006, 07:06 PM
  3. What happened to seven?
    By SMOKEY in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-06-2006, 06:46 AM
  4. It happened again...
    By bike=good in forum Yeti
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-17-2006, 03:37 AM
  5. Well.... it happened
    By TroutBum in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-13-2004, 02:28 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.