What can i use instead of brake pads?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 52 of 52
  1. #1
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173

    What can i use instead of brake pads?

    To keep running costs down is there an available alternative to brake pads?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestion
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by demc1982
    To keep running costs down is there an available alternative to brake pads?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestion
    I've heard the Fred Flintstone stop is pretty effective.

  3. #3
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    I was advised to try bacon fat but in practice this was not a good idea. I have a good feeling about using bran flakes though.
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: donmeredith74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    299
    Don't worry so much. Save weight and remove the brakes. Most riders use them when it isn't necessary anyway. When you're going too fast you'll crash resulting in a slower speed. Get up, rinse, repeat.

  5. #5
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by demc1982
    I was advised to try bacon fat but in practice this was not a good idea. I have a good feeling about using bran flakes though.
    Yes! Or i could just dunk my nuts between top of rear wheel and frame.
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  6. #6
    bt
    bt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,433
    pour your bong water on them for longer lasting results.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtbnozpikr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,684
    Quote Originally Posted by demc1982
    To keep running costs down is there an available alternative to brake pads?

    Thanks in advance for your suggestion
    Chances are if you drop the brake pads for something else you will end up paying more for other things such as medical bills. I hope you're not serious about this whole alternative to brake pads thing.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    154
    You could use your girlfriends box, just have her sit on the handle bars and when you wanna stop have her squat and clinch.

  9. #9
    Former Bike Wrench
    Reputation: mtnbiker72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,976


    No brake pads needed

  10. #10
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,172
    +1 on Fred Flintstone technique. Works really well and cheap too.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 006_007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    9,118
    For maximum stopping power a stick through the spokes will stop the wheel instantly.

  12. #12
    IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Reputation: DriveByBikeShooting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    730
    for v brakes you can slice the calf off a barbie doll and screw it on a worn out pad...

    for disc brakes take a piece of shingle off your roof and jam it in their... that works pretty good after broken in...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....



    MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

  13. #13
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,693
    Just convert your bike into a fixie!!!!
    All the cool kids in girl pants are doing it.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: lexvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Yes but I heard your face does not work as well as brake pads.

  15. #15
    Pimpmobile
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    487
    Put your foot between the front tire and fork crown....

    Used this method a lot in the old BMX days.


    Or, you can just use the trees to slow you down, it works for me when I ski!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

  16. #16
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by meloh1
    I've heard the Fred Flintstone stop is pretty effective.
    I used this the other week after a poorly done brake bleed. It got old after a few miles...

    Probaby costs more in shoe wear than new pads as well.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    506
    Nice answers guys, however, I think this is a good question.
    There must be some substitute that could be used in a pinch.
    I'm sure someone has tried something that works OK, so let's hear it!!

    My first thought was hardwood. A piece of OAK would smoke and not last long and I doubt it would catch fire. Heck.... the San Francisco trolley cars all use wood for brake pads and those are some big hills.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sanjuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,005
    maxi pads?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    596
    Brake pads are the parts that wear out. So, the brake pads are the parts you need to replace. Do you drive, own a car? These also have brake pads that have to be replaced when worn. Buy several sets of cheapie pads (BBB, Kool Stop, etc) change em when worn. I get a year on the brake pads on my bike. $20 a year won't hurt you. Buy less dope for 1 month, put the money into an intrest bearing account. You will have lots of money to spend on brake pads.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    how many joints have you had before starting this thread? if you're looking for economy, i suggest rehab

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    94
    ipad?

  22. #22
    Rollin 29s
    Reputation: isleblue65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    793
    I suggest using a small piece of dried out power bar, which has the added benefit of providing much needed protein when it stops working and you find yourself off the edge of a ravine with 2 broken legs in a remote area.

    I've been saved twice by this method.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

  23. #23
    Linoleum Knife
    Reputation: forkboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by egebhardt
    A piece of OAK would smoke and not last long and I doubt it would catch fire. Heck.... the San Francisco trolley cars all use wood for brake pads and those are some big hills.
    Would you replace your car's brake pads with a piece of Oak and then go drive on the freeway?

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Vmax911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    383
    I'm thinking toast. If you need more braking power, use burnt toast. Do NOT use buttered toast!

  25. #25
    locked - time out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    759
    I use non-lubricated rubbers.

    Used, of course.

  26. #26
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Baked coconut shell!?
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  27. #27
    local jackass
    Reputation: biggoofy1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    931
    deez nutz
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,287
    Break one of your mom's favorite ceramic vases and then use the fragments...make sure its genuine china and not some cheap knock-off.........

  29. #29
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    If you wanna stop that bad, jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,466
    A parachute?





    An anchor? Just carry it around and when you want to stop just drop it.

    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Would you replace your car's brake pads with a piece of Oak and then go drive on the freeway?
    If it tested OK, sure.
    San Francisco trolley cars use wood.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: onegymrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    932
    I think the sheer volume of absurd responses is only overshadowed by the silliness of the question. To the OP, I don't think it's a good idea to be inventive with something as vital as your brakes. Cutting cost makes sense when you shop around online to see who has the best sale, or if a "no-name brand" is a good substitute for original manufacturer...but not when one tries to replace brake pads with some homemade invention.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Oh Oh Oh I know I know

    148.3 grit sandpaper.

  34. #34
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,978
    Coaster brakes FTW

  35. #35
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    A parachute?





    An anchor? Just carry it around and when you want to stop just drop it.

    Brilliant. This would double up as good resistance training too! Win win springs to mind
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  36. #36
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    How about moulding some dried weetabix into the shape of pads? Could be used as a good source of carbs when they need replacing- environmentally friendly too!
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  37. #37
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat
    I think the sheer volume of absurd responses is only overshadowed by the silliness of the question. To the OP, I don't think it's a good idea to be inventive with something as vital as your brakes. Cutting cost makes sense when you shop around online to see who has the best sale, or if a "no-name brand" is a good substitute for original manufacturer...but not when one tries to replace brake pads with some homemade invention.
    Lots of people seem to disagree...... Brakes and slowing down are over rated
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    105
    i could be way off but maybe this guy is saying if a brake pad set just disintegrates in the woods, is there anything too pull a macguyver trick for a short brake save too make it home. i could be wrong but this has never happened too me so i have no suggestions. kinda of a bad move i would think cause anything you JAM in between your rotor would probably just jam into the holes in your rotor and be of no use my suggestion if this happens take it slow till you get back or walk. yea i too think DAMN what a dumb question, but well there are a lot of dumb humans on this planet! this one is pretty much lacking all common sense, sorry ,no insult intended but come on think about what your asking here! LOL

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,083
    Quote Originally Posted by pode
    i could be way off but maybe this guy is saying if a brake pad set just disintegrates in the woods, is there anything too pull a macguyver trick for a short brake save too make it home. i could be wrong but this has never happened too me so i have no suggestions. kinda of a bad move i would think cause anything you JAM in between your rotor would probably just jam into the holes in your rotor and be of no use my suggestion if this happens take it slow till you get back or walk. yea i too think DAMN what a dumb question, but well there are a lot of dumb humans on this planet! this one is pretty much lacking all common sense, sorry ,no insult intended but come on think about what your asking here! LOL

    Been there done that. Pad peeled off both sides of the front brake....

    Just kept riding the steel on steel slowed me down okay....

    Got a new set of pads, sanded the rotor and good to go...

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    105
    yea im sure it had happened before just not too me.LOL

  41. #41
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott
    Oh Oh Oh I know I know

    148.3 grit sandpaper.
    LOL!
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  42. #42
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by pode
    i could be way off but maybe this guy is saying if a brake pad set just disintegrates in the woods, is there anything too pull a macguyver trick for a short brake save too make it home. i could be wrong but this has never happened too me so i have no suggestions. kinda of a bad move i would think cause anything you JAM in between your rotor would probably just jam into the holes in your rotor and be of no use my suggestion if this happens take it slow till you get back or walk. yea i too think DAMN what a dumb question, but well there are a lot of dumb humans on this planet! this one is pretty much lacking all common sense, sorry ,no insult intended but come on think about what your asking here! LOL
    Or maybe your the dumb one for actually thinking this is a serious thread. Most people could work this out just from reading the replies, i mean an anchor and a parachute? come on! After spending thousands on a bike i ain't gonna skrimp on a 10 set of pads. Grow a sense of humour dude
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    105
    that is awsome your sooo cool. i have a sense of humor but ya know what, there are some real dumb people out there so just too be sure you were not trying something like this is the reason for a semi logical response before i called you dumb,I DONT KNOW YOU!.starting a dumb ass thread then calling someone dumb for posting realistically just in case you were as dumb as the post implied is just ignorant, like i said your so cool man . ride hard

  44. #44
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Reputation: hardtailkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,830
    WE DONT KNOW THAT THIS THREAD IS A JOKE!!!!!!! ITS INCREDIBLY HARD TO CONVEY SARCASM OVER THE INTERNET!

    To the people, such as myself, who posted a sarastic response: we just figured that if you are dumb enough to post this, asking a serious question, you deserve some sarcastic responses.

    And to those who posted a serious response: they figured you were serious. Again, THEY DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE SERIOUS!!!!! They just figured, that in case you are serious, you should get some kind of advice.

    None of us knew that you spent so much money on your bike, so don't hold that against ANYONE here. And don't be an arse biscuit to the people who answered with a serious response, because it's your fault for not saying something in your first post like "Post a funny response and no, I'm not seriously asking this question."

    Now go ride your five thousand dollar bike, and don't forget to pack a ShamWow in case it gets dirty.

    K? thx bai
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    42
    How about another rider in front of you? And on public roads you could use cars. Oncomming traffic should work a treat as a really quick brake.

  46. #46
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by pode
    that is awsome your sooo cool. i have a sense of humor but ya know what, there are some real dumb people out there so just too be sure you were not trying something like this is the reason for a semi logical response before i called you dumb,I DONT KNOW YOU!.starting a dumb ass thread then calling someone dumb for posting realistically just in case you were as dumb as the post implied is just ignorant, like i said your so cool man . ride hard
    LOL. This could only upset some one, in this way, of an older generation. Any one else just wouldn't have replied.
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,295
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid
    WE DONT KNOW THAT THIS THREAD IS A JOKE!!!!!!! ITS INCREDIBLY HARD TO CONVEY SARCASM OVER THE INTERNET!

    To the people, such as myself, who posted a sarastic response: we just figured that if you are dumb enough to post this, asking a serious question, you deserve some sarcastic responses.

    And to those who posted a serious response: they figured you were serious. Again, THEY DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE SERIOUS!!!!! They just figured, that in case you are serious, you should get some kind of advice.

    None of us knew that you spent so much money on your bike, so don't hold that against ANYONE here. And don't be an arse biscuit to the people who answered with a serious response, because it's your fault for not saying something in your first post like "Post a funny response and no, I'm not seriously asking this question."

    Now go ride your five thousand dollar bike, and don't forget to pack a ShamWow in case it gets dirty.

    K? thx bai
    it's called trolling chillax

  48. #48
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    how many joints have you had before starting this thread? if you're looking for economy, i suggest rehab
    None, i am a dedicated athlete
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  49. #49
    look 986
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    hmm
    Quality is paramount, weight is a consequence.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Miami_Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    232
    I hope you stop...procreating.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vk45de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Dammit guys stop feeding the trolls.


  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    4
    Eddy current brakes!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.