What brakes to get- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

What brakes to get

Hey there.
    I am looking to upgrade from my current mechanical hayes x5 mechanical disc brakes to some hydraulic brakes. I am looking for some less expensive brakes that are going to give me more bang for my buck than my current brakes, and are going to be reliable. i have heard mixed reviews about lower level avid brakes, and same with Deore disc brakes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

The Fastest of Bananas
    Avid BB7- 80 a set
    Shimano SLX -180 a set
    Shimano Deore- (110 a set, but no idea on reliability)

Hayes Stroker Trails are on sale at Pricepoint right now, 140 a set. They have good reviews. Brakes are expensive.

Personally, go for the BB7. they are the best bang for your buck brake around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBanana View Post
    Avid BB7- 80 a set
    Shimano SLX -180 a set
    Shimano Deore- (110 a set, but no idea on reliability)

Hayes Stroker Trails are on sale at Pricepoint right now, 140 a set. They have good reviews. Brakes are expensive.

Personally, go for the BB7. they are the best bang for your buck brake around.
    He said he wants to switch from mechanical to hydraulic...bb7 are mechanical.

As far as low end Avid's, there shouldn't be any issues. I had a good experience with my bottom level Elixir set.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    If cost is a factor then I would recommend Shimano M445 + some good rotors. This is the setup on my girlfriend's bike and it has been reliable (down steep hills while dragging the brakes the whole way) for 2 years.

If cost is less of a factor then I would recommend SLX + some good rotors. This is what I upgraded to on my bike and I'm very happy (coming from Avid Elixer 1's).

mtbr member
    I might go out on a limb and suggest BB7s too, even though the OP asked about hydros. yeah, BB7s are not hydros, but they are a lot better than many of the OEM hyros that come on some bikes. the benefits of BB7s have been discussed to death, so I won't go into it, but they are a good cost-saving option and offer a lot of power.

Otherwise, my go-to is always Shimano hydros. they seem to be the most durable and involve the least amount of hassle or any hydro system out there. just remember that Shimano brakes usually don't include rotors or adapters, so you might need to do some research and spend a little more to get everything you need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Shimano M596 Deores have great reviews and you can get them for $69/set at JensonUSA.

I just ordered some, should be here this week.

mtbr member

What brakes to get

I went with trail X7's. 4 pistons and smooth as butter. Got them for 110 a set. Haven't used them yet but I'd imagine they are better than my elixir cr's, which are very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

What brakes to get

Quote Originally Posted by vdubz View Post
    I went with trail X7's. 4 pistons and smooth as butter. Got them for 110 a set. Haven't used them yet but I'd imagine they are better than my elixir cr's, which are very good.

To update. Those brakes are great. Very nice bite and modulation. 180mm F/R they feel way better than my elixir cr's

mtbr member