What brakes to choose? And is there some good deals out there??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

What brakes to choose? And is there some good deals out there??

OK, I am looking for some hyd. brakes for my bike. I have mechanical that I am replacing. It is a full suspension 29er. I am running a 203mm rotor on the front and a 180mm on the back. I am trying to stay under $200. I found some avid elixir 7 brake set new for $145.00 shipped. What do you think?? It is so hard to choose, so many to choose from?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just say no to Avid Elixirs. You might get lucky and receive a good set but the odds are against it. Be prepared to deal with leaks, mushy levers, bleeding issues galore, and brakes that squeal like Ned Betty in Deliverance.

Get a set of Shimano SLX brakes and call it done.
    Shimano SLX M675 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

If you need or want to buy new rotors, go one down to the M615 Deore. It's a bit heavier and doesn't have the ceramic pistons and tool free reach adjust on the levers, but everything else is essentially the same. Then get a set of Shimano RT67 or RT76 rotors depending on which hubs you have, or the RT86 Ice-tech rotors if you need more fade resistance.
    Shimano Deore M615 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    OK ya those look good thanks for the help. I do have the standard I.S. mount stuff on there and I can use that stuff still right? It will mount right up and use what I have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiogsp View Post
    OK ya those look good thanks for the help. I do have the standard I.S. mount stuff on there and I can use that stuff still right? It will mount right up and use what I have?
    Order the Deore 615 from China. It'll take about 10 days to arrive, but you can get them for $115 shipped. Ride what you have until then. If you already have mechanical brakes installed, they will mount to the same hardware.

Deore or SLX is the best dollar-to-performance ratio equipment you can get. I use deore front to back and the performance is astounding for the price.

mtbr member
    You can check deals on wiggle and sites. I scooped up a set of SLXs for cheap and I'm loving them

mtbr member

What brakes to choose? And is there some good deals out there??

Quote Originally Posted by Ihitatree View Post
    Order the Deore 615 from China. It'll take about 10 days to arrive, but you can get them for $115 shipped. Ride what you have until then. If you already have mechanical brakes installed, they will mount to the same hardware.

Deore or SLX is the best dollar-to-performance ratio equipment you can get. I use deore front to back and the performance is astounding for the price.
    Do you know the website or link to where you can find them that cheap? Thanks