Wet Disc Brakes - Spongy???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wet Disc Brakes - Spongy???

I have AVID Juicy Fives on my bike, which I have only had for a few weeks now. Today is the first day I washed the bike. When putting the bike back in the garage, I noticed my rear brake seemed spongy as the hand lever went all most to the grips. I did not notice this during my ride today. I figured they just needed to be bleed as I checked all the connections and the calipers for signs of leaking fluid (after the bike was dry).

Now about 7 hours later, I went out and for the heck of it pulled on the lever and I now have a normal feeling brake (normal related to the front brake). The front brake did not exhibit this symptom at all. I have Avid cable discs on my other MTB and have not experienced this symptom with them after washing the bike.

Is it common for hydraulic brakes to get spongy (like there is air in the line) when they get wet? Avid brakes?

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    did you turm the bike over or on its side?
    they shouldnt get spongy from getting wet, but if you laid it down you might have sent an air bubble up the system, after awhile it made its way back up and out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    did you turm the bike over or on its side?
    they shouldnt get spongy from getting wet, but if you laid it down you might have sent an air bubble up the system, after awhile it made its way back up and out
    I did stand it up on the rear wheel to move it between the cars in the garage. I have done this in the past to get it in and out of the garage. I guess I may have dislodged an air bubble in the process

Meh.
    Sounds like you have a bubble. Time to bleed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Sounds like you have a bubble. Time to bleed.
    That is what I was thinking. Even if it was a bubble that was lodged loose from the caliper, it is still in the system and needs to be removed. I ordered a bleed kit and will give it a try myself. I cannot hurt anything and if all else fails, off to the LBS. Thx.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    what kind of brakes do you have, my xtrs seem to be sensitive to that kind of movement. they allways seem to rectify themselves though, there is a tiny vent hole on the resivoir

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    what kind of brakes do you have, my xtrs seem to be sensitive to that kind of movement. they allways seem to rectify themselves though, there is a tiny vent hole on the resivoir
    They are Avid Juicy Fives.
    thx, Phred
    I know my parents hated me, because my bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

Meh.
    No fluid should come out the vent hole. Nor should any air go in. There is a rubber diaphragm underneath the resi cap. The breather hole allows the pressure to equalize. When the fluid heats up and expands, it pushes out the diaphragm. The diaphragm then displaces air. The air goes out the breather hole. So it sounds like you've still got some air in the system.

Members who have read this thread: 0