mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Weak breaking power on Hayes Nine, replace them or bother with bleeding

Hi
    I have Hayes Nine on my bike.
    I've noticed lately that the breaking power on both the front wheel and the rear wheel is rather weak and unsatisfying, I need to squeeze them real hard to get any breaking action.

So I have 2 options ahead of me:
    1. Replace them in favor of anther mid-range brake (Shimano XT?). What are some good brakes in the range of 100-200 usd that would be better than Hayes Nine?
    2. Try to bleed them/replace pads and hope for the best

I spoke to a local mechanic and he told me the breaks are old and bleeding them will probably cause oil leaks and that he doesn't think that its worth dealing with it. Obviously he prefers me to buy a new set of brakes from him.

I am on a budget, what do you guys suggest me to do?
    I mostly do trails riding and my bike is Kona Coilair supreme 2009
    Thanks

banned
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by we78 View Post
    Hi
    I have Hayes Nine on my bike.
    I've noticed lately that the breaking power on both the front wheel and the rear wheel is rather weak and unsatisfying, I need to squeeze them real hard to get any breaking action.

So I have 2 options ahead of me:
    1. Replace them in favor of anther mid-range brake (Shimano XT?). What are some good brakes in the range of 100-200 usd that would be better than Hayes Nine?
    2. Try to bleed them/replace pads and hope for the best

I spoke to a local mechanic and he told me the breaks are old and bleeding them will probably cause oil leaks and that he doesn't think that its worth dealing with it. Obviously he prefers me to buy a new set of brakes from him.

I am on a budget, what do you guys suggest me to do?
    I mostly do trails riding and my bike is Kona Coilair supreme 2009
    Thanks

I went through the same situation a few years ago with my Hayes 9. I decided I was going to salvage it and make it work so I bought a bleed kit with the fittings and adapters and etc…so I bleed the brake repeatedly and low and behold it started leaking out of the master cylinder….hehe

Your LBS mechanic is probably telling you the truth.

You are probably better off upgrading to shimano XT’s or SLX’s. If you shop around you can find the front/rear set for around your budget.

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    XTs (M785) are not really mid-range brakes. They are damn good ones. They are light years ahead of the Hayes and are better in every way. I have a 'high end' bike and just put XTs on it. Love them. I had Hayes Nines on an older bike and hated them from the start. A cheap set of Formula Oro K24s were way better than the Hayes.

Members who have read this thread: 0