Water in hydros...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. Water in hydros...

I was washing my bike with a very powerful hose......

I'm sure that water has penetrated either my lever or the pistons because the rear brake lever now retracts a lot slower. I havent had a chance to ride the bike since.

Will this water burn off/evaporate after a ride?

Meh.
    DOT fluid is hygroscopic. It would have absorbed the moisture. This would result in a lower boiling point. I high doubt that you will be able to vaporize the DOT fluid. In addition, your brake is a sealed system. I don't think water could have forced it's way through the hose or caliper unless something was already damaged.

mtbr member
    Washing some brakes off leaves the piston very dry. The surface then has friction points and may lock one piston off.

Easy fix: Remove wheel, remove brk pads, retract pistons (reset or push them in), apply a lite teflon lube to pistons, let sit....... pump levers and reset pads, wipe clean of excess lube.

Wyrm
    Bikeless Rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyrm
    Washing some brakes off leaves the piston very dry. The surface then has friction points and may lock one piston off.

Easy fix: Remove wheel, remove brk pads, retract pistons (reset or push them in), apply a lite teflon lube to pistons, let sit....... pump levers and reset pads, wipe clean of excess lube.

Wyrm
    thanks i may try that

Members who have read this thread: 0