Wanted: Cheap China Disk Brake Pads Suggestion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2019

Wanted: Cheap China Disk Brake Pads Suggestion

Anybody knows a cheap and good Chinese brake pad for Shimano?

I bought this one a short while ago, and for $1.20 a pair they work really well:

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=547787859774

Very good breaking power, no noise. They would be perfect - if they would last.

Seems like a pair lasts just a few weeks, and I don't ride THAT much. I am in a really hilly area with long downhill stretches though. Any hints for good 3rd party pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is your time not worth a few bucks? Shimano's most basic pads (which might not even fit your brakes, since we don't know what model you have) retail between $8-10USD. If they even last just 3x longer, that would be enough for me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nurider View Post

I bought this one a short while ago, and for $1.20 a pair they work really well:

Seems like a pair lasts just a few weeks, and I don't ride THAT much. I am in a really hilly area with long downhill stretches though. Any hints for good 3rd party pads?
    $1.20? Perfect if they would last? Last just a few weeks?

Well, like they say, you got what you paid for. Honestly, for $1.20, what would you expect? I mean, that's less than a bottle of water. If you're riding long down hill stretches, I would think spending a few bucks more isn't unreasonable. I use Shimano XT pads... less than $20 resin or metal with cooling finds. I'd be willing to bet that although my upfront cost is more, I spend the same or less in the long run than if I were constantly buying one dollar pads riding the 4-6 days a week year 'round like I do. And I'm much more comfortable betting my safety relying on $20 pads than I would be on $1 pads. Just sayin'...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm running Discobrakes Ceramic Pro pads now. Works out to $7.50US per pair and they seem to be wearing as well as Shimano resin pads but with a lot more bite esp when wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I have used Superstar and Discobrakes pads for a few years, then tried the aliexpress ones (random suppliers) with great luck. Couldnt find any differences in bite or mileage. It is likely that you have received a bad batch. I would give them another go but I have 4 bikes in the family :-)
    Alternatively use Discobrake, can't go wrong with those.
    flyMTBfish

WillWorkForTrail
    I've never run anything cheaper than truckerco pads. They've been crazy good for me. I doubt seriously you'll find anything in the price range you're talking about that's going to be satisfactory in every way.

Pro Crastinator
    trusting brake pads that cost $1.20? i can't wait to see the follow up thread about how expensive your dental bill is...

This place needs an enema
    People have no concept of how this fixation on saving pennies regardless of the environmental and political costs is going to turn around and bite us long-term.

Education: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...est-with-china

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    People have no concept of how this fixation on saving pennies regardless of the environmental and political costs is going to turn around and bite us long-term.

Education: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...est-with-china
    News flash. I can probably summarize this article without reading it, but then, I read a news paper every day. I'm willing to be no one who looks at this thread makes it more than 1/4 of the way through that article.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Thanks for the hints. Money isn't a huge issue, just don't want to change pads every few weeks. The Discobrakes sounds interesting. Will definitely go for quality.

Anyway, I bought 3 pairs a few month ago and they are used up now.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Check this video out. He tests a few different types of brakes. I don't think he mentions the brand on the video but it's in his description below the video.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotharyus View Post
    no one who looks at this thread makes it more than 1/4 of the way through that article.

And that's the sad truth.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    And that's the sad truth.
    In their defense, it's not short (but quite interesting). I keep up with some of the news in that area, but there's so much negativity in many of the articles it can get depressing - propaganda hard at work, I suppose. At least this one was pretty balanced, so kudos to the writers in that regard and thanks for the link.
    :nono: :thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice thing about $1.20 pure asbestos pads is asbestos is natural So no worries about environmental contamination unless they use lead or cadmium as a binding agent. Which the probably do.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by eshew View Post
    Nice thing about $1.20 pure asbestos pads is asbestos is natural So no worries about environmental contamination unless they use lead or cadmium as a binding agent. Which the probably do.
    I hope you're joking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nurider View Post

Here's my suggestion: don't do it. Is it really worth a ruined ride, wreck, or horrible disfiguring facial injury?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Looking at the posts above, I understand that somebody believes that Truckerco/Discobrakes/Superstar pads are hand manufacturd in the USA or UK, right? :-)
    flyMTBfish

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Looking at the posts above, I understand that somebody believes that Truckerco/Discobrakes/Superstar pads are hand manufacturd in the USA or UK, right? :-)
    There's a huge variance between products manufactured in China. Some are good, others worse than garbage. I don't gamble with safety over the cost of an order of fries. You're free to do whatever you like.