V-Brakes Rub When Turning Handlebar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

New question here. V-Brakes Rub When Turning Handlebar

Hello,

I'm new to biking, and I can't figure out why I'm having this problem.

I have a Jamis Dakar with V-Brakes. The brakes don't rub when I'm going straight, but when I turn the handlebar or lean into a turn, the front brakes will rub. This happens when turning both directions, but more when I turn to the left. Also, it only happens when there is weight on the bike...If I walk the bike around, I can turn the wheel without the brakes rubbing.

My only thought was that possibly the front wheel was actually bending slightly. I'm about 200 pounds, so there is some considerable weight there.

Anyway, if anyone has had this happen or can shed any light on this, please let me know.

Thank You

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Your thought could be on the mark. I had the same issue about 11 months ago just after I assembled a new bike. I first thought it was the light XC fork I was using and ended up just going to discs which fixed the issue.

Flash forward to just a few months ago... I upgraded the wheelset and it was rim brake only. I went back to V's with the same front fork and encountered no rubbing. The problem ended up being the front wheel was flexing. I also found out the rear was flexing pretty good after I noticed deep grooves in the rear chainstays of the bike frame from the tire rubbing some on corners.

Anyways if you have access to try another wheel first I would start there. Good luck and welcome.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The front wheel will flex under certain conditions like you have described. Other examples include rocking the bike while standing and pedaling. Make sure your brake pads are not too close to the rim and have enough space to allow for this flex.

If it still rubs after adjusting the brake pads, the wheel may be too flexy for your weight.

mtbr member

also

consider increasing the spring tension on the brake arms...

ballbuster

Check the cable routing...

Quote Originally Posted by bugums1
    Hello,

I'm new to biking, and I can't figure out why I'm having this problem.

I have a Jamis Dakar with V-Brakes. The brakes don't rub when I'm going straight, but when I turn the handlebar or lean into a turn, the front brakes will rub. This happens when turning both directions, but more when I turn to the left. Also, it only happens when there is weight on the bike...If I walk the bike around, I can turn the wheel without the brakes rubbing.

My only thought was that possibly the front wheel was actually bending slightly. I'm about 200 pounds, so there is some considerable weight there.

Anyway, if anyone has had this happen or can shed any light on this, please let me know.

Thank You
    I have the same issue on my race hardtail. The front brake cable is run through other cables, and it gets pulled slightly when I turn the bars.

Also check for slop in your front wheel bearings. Make sure the front wheel is all the way in the dropouts and the QR is tight.

Members who have read this thread: 1