V-brakes on old frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

V-brakes on old frame?

I have an older model VooDoo Wanga made in the states I think in the late 90s. The rear brake bosses are pretty close to the frame and I think were made clearly for canti-brakes only. I am trying to run some Avid Single Digit 3 V-brakes on this. Two problems. Even trying to use a rollamajig (I saw this once), the brake cable comes from the right side of the top of the seat tube and does not line-up so smooth to the V-brake noodle on the left. And, the brakes are so close to the 2.2 tire that they rub on the treads when pulled to full braking power. I cant seem to get the arms far enough away from the tire tread or get enough spring from them to release. Any suggestions? Or should I just go to canti-brakes?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails V-brakes on old frame?-brakes..jpg  

I Have Cookies
    Get rid of the rollamajig and go with a solid (full) housing from the brake to the lever and you should be fine!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    That's hilarious. Who dreamed up that funny configuration? Don't answer.

Ditch the rollamajig.
    Route the brake cable housing to the other side of the seat tube.
    Connect the brake cable house to the top of the noodle.
    Re-adjust the brake pads further in from the brake arms, to give more clearance. There is plenty of post there.

mtbr member
    Yeah what they said.
    After you run the full length housing, secure it to the top tube with zip (electrical) ties.

It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like you've got some washers on the brake pad post outside of the brake arm that, if moved to the inside, would move the brake pad closer to the rim, giving your brake arm more room.

Old man on a bike
    What brake levers are you using? Try moving the washers around like smilinsteve said to give you more clearance...and canti brakes use the same bosses as linear brakes in any case.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Members who have read this thread: 0