V-Brake safety check- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! V-Brake safety check

Fellow riders, I know most of us by now are on discs but I'm sure there are still many v-brake users out there.

If you are still on V-brakes please check the stop tab on the 90 degree noodle. It's the part that you guide in when you are re-connecting the cable after taking your wheel off. It is made of aluminum and can fail and can cause a massive wreck (as it did to me). The little stop tab like anything else wears and when it gets worn down enough the next time you grab the front brake (it's usually the front because it gets the most and hardest use) it will instantly fold crack and pull through leaving you with no front brake. I have checked many of my friends V-brakes and about half were bad enough that I told them to replace the noodle. I ask guys at bike shops about this and the all scratch their heads and say they've never heard of this issue. Trust me I had the biggest wreck of my mountain biking career due to this failure and have added hydro discs as a result.

ravingbikefiend
    Apr 2006
    The only V brake failure I have experienced is a few broken springs and if one keeps their brakes maintained, they will replace the noodles when they become worn to prevent catastrophic failures like this from happening.

Now...if Shimano would sell replacement springs along with replacement noodles I'd be a happy man..
    I ride with 65'er...he's a mountain goat....But then again, we need to throw him in the mud and pack his pockets with lead shot before a scale will read him. - Psycho Mike

-Environmental stickers don't mean shite when they are stuck to CARS!-

Meh.
    I've seen a few of them come into the shop. But most people still have a rear brake in the event that the front brake does fail...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    I've seen a few of them come into the shop. But most people still have a rear brake in the event that the front brake does fail...
    yes, true but the rear brake is a tiny amount of braking force going downhill. I was heading for a 5mph hairpin at a good speed on a rocky rutted singletrack it was steep and fast enough the the rear brake was doing next to nothing locked up. you might get lucky and have it fail on level ground but chances are it will fail when you are pulling real hard (like for a down hill hairpin) and at that point you're going down or off even with all the rear brake you can grab.

this is not a casual MTB'r issue, it is for the aggressive riders who ride/brake hard and often, for them loosing a front brake is a scary proposition.

Members who have read this thread: 0