V-brake cable housing recomendation needed..- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

V-brake cable housing recomendation needed..

So I'm resurrecting my old S-Works Steel and I just ordered some Avid Single Digit SL v's for front and rear. Trouble is the frame doesn't have a rear cable stop since it was designed prior to the advent of V's. So I started looking around for clamp-on cable stops and it's starting to look like my best bet will be to run full length housing instead.

Can anyone supply me with a recomendation for some decent housing with minimal compression? My concern with ful llength housing is that the brakes are gonna feel pretty mushy. I'm still on the hunt for a clamp-on cable stop but my top tube is actually 1 3/16". Right between the inch and quarter and inch an eighth....

thanks in advance folks...

simp

neutiquam erro
    For clamp-on guide options, perhaps try contacting www.biketoolsetc.com CS... I don't see something in the size you mention on their website, but they have the best selection of small parts like that, so perhaps they may be able to help you out. Speedgoat.com CS is usually really good about helping with odd-ball small-part stuff like that too; their CS is awesome.

If no aftermarket guides can be found, SteveUK posted a graceful looking zip-tie option for cable routing in this post (scroll down in the post to his pictures and how-to):

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=252189

As far as housings go, there are a lot of good options, ranging from very expensive and fully compressionless (Nokon) to basic and lots in-between. I run full-length housings for my rear derailleur and my mech discs using Avid Flak Jackets' outer housing the whole length. I dremelled out my cable guides to be able to run outer housing through them. I love it so far.

I think you be very happy running full-length housings once you get it set up.

Cheers, Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey, thanks Chris130. I was looking at the same place for the small parts, but had not thought of contacting Speedgoat. I suspect I'll end up going full housing anyway. I run Flak for shift cable housing and haven't had any problems so I suspect the brake housing is just as good.

thanks again,

simp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    Can anyone supply me with a recomendation for some decent housing with minimal compression? My concern with ful llength housing is that the brakes are gonna feel pretty mushy.
    I've never noticed a huge difference either way. I've tried it on 2 different rigid frames, 3 different FS frames, v-brakes and mechanical discs, too, and it's the same thing every time - minimal difference in ANYTHING. Didn't matter if it was gears or brakes, either.

Now, if you want to talk about longevity - the full housing set-ups have always given me less contamination problems simply because there are fewer points for debris to enter the cable system. Friction? No, sorry, IMHO that's BS. Maybe measurable with a 1 pound springy drug scale, but not overly noticeable on a bike when you're flying through trails.

While i've wanted to spend the extra bucks to get something "fancy" (Nokon, Avid FJs, or even the new Tioga I-Link stuff) i've never gone out to get any. Part of this is because my latest FS frame mandates full housing for brakes (and the RD) and also because i've been "fine" with using plain ol' Shimano stainless steel housing.

Maybe one day i'll ante up, but it's a low priority right now simply because it hasn't been deemed a great necessity (weight savings notwithstanding!).

Now, that being said, just in case it would benefit you - things that HAVE made at least a considerable difference to the feel of my v-brakes:

1) pads - Kool Stop all the way, but NOT the Eagle Claw 2. Gotta be the cartridge deal for me. I like the on/off feeling with these. The EC2s i've always found to be spongy.

2) brake boosters - my v-brakes practically mandate the use of boosters no matter what. Boosters would be #1 if you've already got pads you like.

3) set-up - the deal killer! Set them up like crap and that's how they work. Set them up well and you'll start to find a v-brake's potential, even if the above isn't in place.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Interesting stuff, AndrewTO. Thanks for the insight. I've never run v-brakes before. (Although my wife's bike has them.) I used canti's on my bike, then went a a bit of a hiatus and started riding with hydro discs when I started riding again. Kinda missed the whole v-brake revolution so-to-speak.

I've been looking around and I was thinking that the XTR housing seemed like a nice compromise between all out budget housing and the super hi-end stuff. Thoughts?

thanks,
    simp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplton
    I've been looking around and I was thinking that the XTR housing seemed like a nice compromise between all out budget housing and the super hi-end stuff. Thoughts?
    I hear ya' on the catching up thing, don't worry.

XTR cables - I only have ONE complaint about them ..... they're not long enough to run in a full length housing set-up. For the front brake, yeah sure, but a disc rear ..... me no think so. Possibly on a smaller frame size, but anything over about 20" you can forget it (again, full length DISC - shouldn't be a problem for you).

Other then that my experiences with them have always been great. Shimano's top-of-the-line cable set that, IMHO, delivered. Bonus was the sealed housing end caps (and in black, to boot!) that finished everything off nicely. If you don't mind spending the extra money for them then I say give 'er.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's kinda what I thought. Not so concerned about the length since I'm using v-brakes and it's a 19" hardtail. Thanks again for the advice.

later,
    simp

I Love my Rize

Good job! Jagwire Ripchord

Jagwire ripchords are killer housings and cables. They have enough for full length. They are kevlar and compression less. I think they are the best set up for the money. You will love them. I would suggest you use a dremmel to cut them as cable cutters don't work that well with them unless they are high quality and sharp.

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CA4338

They also have the housing's in orange

Ride Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by danoalb
    Jagwire ripchords are killer housings and cables. They have enough for full length. They are kevlar and compression less. I think they are the best set up for the money. You will love them. I would suggest you use a dremmel to cut them as cable cutters don't work that well with them unless they are high quality and sharp.

http://store.airbomb.com/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CA4338

They also have the housing's in orange
    So just to confirm, the Jagwire housing is long enough to run full-length with discs?

Members who have read this thread: 0