Used Magura Louise brakeset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Used Magura Louise brakeset

I have been looking for a new brake setup and found a F/R 2002 Magura Louise system. They seem to be in great shape, how would they compare to the newest version? I generally ride XC but do some jumping and small drops, these brakes are considered all mountain right? What would they be worth so I know what kind of offer to give the guy? thanks!

and B+W too
    Well, I'd guess they need a service.

How would they compare? You'd have to ask an expert re braking power (Magura USA?), but the newer Louise's have different brake pads with more contact area. From personal experience I'm sure Louise's will excel in your riding modes.

Buying very old brake kit is a bit chancy I'd say. If there's a problem, the money you spend buying, then repairing the brakes could be spent on a new set with a full warranty. From a safety perspective, brakes are a critical component aren't they, so why chance it?

As for price if you do decide to still go with the old 02's, I'd factor in a full service from Magura in addition to what you offer the guy

Good Luck and Happy Braking

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah those were kind of my thoughts. I definitely would prefer new brakes and that set I was referring to was on Ebay and already is higher than I'd pay. So in that case, here's what I've found:

I'm looking at Magura Louise and Formula K18's...so far, have found the Louise for $160 on Jenson USA and K18 for $165 (with adapter/rotor). Are the Louise's at this link--
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...isc+Brake.aspx the same ones on their website, just not carbon? For a $5 difference, what brake would you guys go for? I have heard awesome things about both brakes.

---NOTE: this is for the rear brake only. I am replacing my rear brake now and will be doing the front sometime in the future.

and B+W too
    Either brakes you suggest would be great. My preference though is for Magura with high performance, solid build quality, and excellent customer support. I'm sure Formula are very good too.

Your link looks like the older no bite point adjustment 2006 Louise FR model.

I believe the Formula K24 has bite adjustment but the K18 doesn't? Sorry to say I don't know too much about Formula brakes but I'm sure they're excellent.

Members who have read this thread: 0