upgrading from mech's?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

upgrading from mech's?

I live in FL so I don't need a brake with great downhill performance, but I am conemplating upgrading my BB7 with dangerboy mech lever's or upgrading the whole thing to hydro. I was thinking about juicy 7's or hope mini's. Is it worht upgrading to hydro's in FL and what would be a good hydro if I do upgrade. Looking for something pretty maintnce free ( aren't we all).
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

thecentralscrutinizer
    I would think that the BB7's would be okay for Florida, but if you have the "wants" for some hydros I'd strongly recommend the Formula K18's. Everybody I know who runs the Juicy 7's have issues with them dragging, or feeling mushy, or whatever.

I recently installed the K18's on my XC hardtail and they absolutely rock. Way better than my BB7's and they aren't even broken in yet.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I've got both the Hope Mono Minis and the BB7s (a later purchase for my second bike). I wouldn't bother upgrading to hydro- they feel a little better, but IMO not worth the money over the BB7s.

And leaky hydro lines isn't a fun thing to deal with either.

Don't look back ....

This is for MoparTodd

Strange Race Disks

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah the leaky hydro's . That is something that worries me. I like the feel and bling factor of hydros, but I would probably just as well if I just stick to my bb7's. It seems like there is a higher chance of damaging a hyro line. Although I haven't heard of it happening much.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

Brant-C.
    i've got hayes hfx carbons and hayes hfx hds. also have bb7s (very easy to install and setup). the only thing that got me to change to the hays hfx carbons from the bb7s is the fact that after a few down hill runs i would have to turn the red knobs on the bb7s to get my brakes back to working "normal" for me again. that's it. oh and the hydros are smoother (but like a stated in other threads; does it really make a difference on the trail?)

with the hydros they have the self adjusting calipers. but the performance is the same; hydros and bb7's (also v brakes) stop me just as good!

oh yeah, the bling factor is definitely a plus.

i chose the hayes because when i asked a bike shop mechanic which hydros were the easiest to setup and the most reliable, he stated shimano and hayes...i've known this guy for 16 years. his shop has been around since who knows. but that's just my $.02.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by RideToLive
    Strange Race Disks

Nice. Track looks nice and clean under those front wheels too.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2019 Marin Rift Zone 3

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    If you want 'bling factor', there are probably much more obvious places to put the money for bling. Disc brakes all look pretty similar from a distance, and the BBs are pretty well constructed.

If you want bling, why not just get a bunch of Thomson or King stuff. You could get a CK rear hub for around the same money as a hydro set, and make all the buzzy noises that the fans seem to like so much

Members who have read this thread: 0