Upgrading from Hayes Sole- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Upgrading from Hayes Sole

Hey guys,

I'm finally getting back on my bike after years of hiatus and I'm looking to upgrade my brakes. I currently have hayes soles discs on my 07 Specialized Hardrock but I am fed up with the endless high-maintenance this system needs. I mostly do XC.

My questions are:
    What make/model is a good step up from the Hayes Sole?
    Whats a good online store that offers good prices?
    Is it common to find pre-bled systems? I know ebay has a few...

Thanks for the help, looking forward to reading your opinions on this matter.

mtbr member
    I'll answer your questions in order...
    1. Just about any make or model is better then the Hayes Sole system. So it will end up coming down to what you want to spend. I recommend the Formula RX, Shimano SLX or XT, Avid Juicy 7 or Elixirs.
    2. Support your local bike store! Buying online may be cheaper sometimes, but if you have a problem, what will you do?
    3. Most, if not all brakes will come pre-bled and if they aren't, your local bike store usually does that for you when you buy them.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Magura Marta....true set and forget brakes. Check pads and rotors every season, and you're good for the next 5+ years.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Great input! I see what my local stores have to offer and I agree that buying local is best.

I'll also have to budget and see what I can spend.. so it's nice to see suggestions for different budgets.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Being a noob when it comes to brakes, I have a few more questions...

Does the new brake system have to have the same size rotors?

I currently have Hayes V6 rotors. Does someone know if those that equal to 160mm?

Thanks

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgthe2nd
    Being a noob when it comes to brakes, I have a few more questions...

Does the new brake system have to have the same size rotors?

I currently have Hayes V6 rotors. Does someone know if those that equal to 160mm?

Thanks
    Yes, all the suggested brands have matching rotors in your required size.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the easiest and cheapest way...

would be to swap the front brake to a BB7 and leave the Sole hydro on the back- its good enough for a rear brake. The Hayes rotor works great with the BB7. so no need to change rotors.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dmgthe2nd
    Hey guys,

I'm finally getting back on my bike after years of hiatus and I'm looking to upgrade my brakes. I currently have hayes soles discs on my 07 Specialized Hardrock but I am fed up with the endless high-maintenance this system needs. I mostly do XC.

My questions are:
    What make/model is a good step up from the Hayes Sole?
    Whats a good online store that offers good prices?
    Is it common to find pre-bled systems? I know ebay has a few...

Thanks for the help, looking forward to reading your opinions on this matter.
    I also recently found myself looking to change out the Hayes Soles which came with my bike. They were good, but not that great. Also, I didn't want to mess around with the maintenance needed of hydraulic discs brakes.

After doing some searching I ended up swapping them out with Avid BB7's just last weekend. They're mechs which means not having to deal with bleeding brake lines, seems pretty reliable based on people's review of them, and are pretty affordable (perfect for my budget). I went with the 185 mm front and 160 mm rear (relatively same setup as my Hayes). The installation is pretty straight forward so ended up doing the install myself.

I finally had a chance to test them out today and they're on par with the Soles. Considering that they haven't really been bedded in yet, I'd say it's a good sign. Since I've only ridden them once so far, I can't personally speak on reliability, but so far I'm happy I made the switch.
    Last edited by jrands; 05-22-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0