Upgrading to Disc Brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Upgrading to Disc Brakes

Hey all.

I ride a Kona NuNu hardtail. I've upgraded most components except the fork and plan on doing so this spring. At that time I'll be looking for something that is disc brake compatible. I'm also looking at retrofitting my back end with disks. Is it possible to add disks to the back. I can't believe there wouldn't be a retrofit kit available.

I'm also gonna move to a dualie in the spring but still want to ride my hardtail from time to time.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Baliw
    Jan 2004

Rear retrofit

I'd be wary of fitting a disc brake on the rear if you don't have disc tabs, because the seatstay/chainstay may not be strong enough for the load. I have a hardtail which had a disc brake front and V-brake rear, and this worked perfectly because
    1. I don't need a disc at the rear to be able to lock up the wheel, v-brake is strong enough;
    2. I use mostly the front brake anyway.

Although discs give better modulation, for the rear this is not as crucial as for the front. Some people might say that it's good to have an equal "feel" by having the same type of brake front and rear, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it's never been an issue. You may even save some weight by using a v at the back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Juramentado
    I'd be wary of fitting a disc brake on the rear if you don't have disc tabs, because the seatstay/chainstay may not be strong enough for the load. I have a hardtail which had a disc brake front and V-brake rear, and this worked perfectly because
    1. I don't need a disc at the rear to be able to lock up the wheel, v-brake is strong enough;
    2. I use mostly the front brake anyway.

Although discs give better modulation, for the rear this is not as crucial as for the front. Some people might say that it's good to have an equal "feel" by having the same type of brake front and rear, but I got used to it pretty quickly and it's never been an issue. You
    may even save some weight by using a v at the back.
    Thanks for the advice. Others have told me the same. I think I'll go disc up front onlt.