Upgrading avid juicy for Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes, can I use existing adapter?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upgrading avid juicy for Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes, can I use existing adapter?

I have avid juicy ultimates and am finally done with them so I picked up a new set of avid elixir 9 trail brakes front and rear, can I use the mounting brackets I have from my juicy ultimates for 185mm and 203mm rotors for my new calipers? I am fine mounting CPS with the washers on both sides and I am reusing my g3 rotors.

mtbr member
    In case anyone is wondering in the future, I called SRAM and as long as I continue to use my old rotor and don't change the size my existing mounting brackets from my old juicys will work just fine with their new elixer trail 9 calipers.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Elixir Trail 9 brakes do not use CPS washers on the underside of them.

CPS washers on the underside of them will make the brake pads overhang the rotors by about 5mm.

Juicy's are a CPS caliper and need the extra packing underneath them that CPS washers give.

Trail brakes are standard calipers like most non Avid brakes and do not use CPS washers.

https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...r_mounting.pdf
    Last edited by cobba; 06-22-2015 at 06:25 PM.

mtbr member
    You positive about that? It looks like they can be mounted either way but if you do not use washers underneath you need to have a special tool to do something to them. It says in the link you posted that I have already looked at the CPS washers are needed between the caliper and mount if you choose to go CPS style. Even the CPS mounting diagrams on page 2 show washers on both sides. I know its confusing, shit I'm still a little confused but it shows CPS mounting with washers on both sides unless you are mounting standard. Unless I have to mount standard for a 203mm rotor? This diagram and table from the link is confusing as hell! So at the least I put it together and check my caliper clearance and remove the lower washers if need be. Does anyone understand this link? https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...r_mounting.pdf

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrenolds View Post
    You positive about that?
    Yes, I'm absolutely positive.

It looks like they can be mounted either way but if you do not use washers underneath you need to have a special tool to do something to them.
    No they can't be mounted either way and there is no special tool.

It says in the link you posted that I have already looked at the CPS washers are needed between the caliper and mount if you choose to go CPS style.
    No it doesn't, CPS isn't a choice, you either have CPS calipers or you have standard calipers, you do not have CPS calipers so you do not use CPS washers.

Even the CPS mounting diagrams on page 2 show washers on both sides.
    That's because CPS calipers need the CPS washers, you do not have CPS calipers so you do not use CPS washers.

I know its confusing, shit I'm still a little confused but it shows CPS mounting with washers on both sides unless you are mounting standard. Unless I have to mount standard for a 203mm rotor? This diagram and table from the link is confusing as hell! So at the least I put it together and check my caliper clearance and remove the lower washers if need be.
    CPS calipers need the CPS washers underneath them and standard calipers do not use CPS washers underneath them.

You will need to remove the CPS washers from underneath your Trail 9 calipers.

Does anyone understand this link?
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...r_mounting.pdf
    Yes, it shows mounting for CPS calipers and standard (non CPS) calipers.

You are using the old 203mm & 185mm rotors and adapters, you need to mount your new calipers in the old 203mm & 185mm adapters the same way a standard caliper is mounted on the new 200mm & 180mm adapters.

Post to IS adapter with no CPS washers:

Upgrading avid juicy for Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes, can I use existing adapter?-1332329799287-1j8wp9e5tp6sb-700-80.jpg

Post to Post adapter with no CPS washers:

Upgrading avid juicy for Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes, can I use existing adapter?-enduro-longterm-test-2014-rose-granite-chief-6.jpg

What happens when you use CPS washers under a caliper when you are not supposed to use them.

Upgrading avid juicy for Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes, can I use existing adapter?-831692d1379103670-shimano-xt-brake-pad-wear-issue-img_7701_small.jpg

Pads that overhang rotors can eventually lead to brake failure if the unworn parts of the two pads push against each other.

Name:  Capture1.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  24.0 KB
    Last edited by cobba; 06-23-2015 at 05:41 AM.

mtbr member
    You are absolutely correct, thanks! Just realized that the trail calipers are offset and are standard. So it looks like I just direct mount both of them. I am wondering how you adjust or center the caliper then? I am use to undoing the bolts, pulling the trigger and centering the caliper and tightening the bolts, is it still the same? Your awesome cooba, thanks for clearing this up for me. Sorry I did not believe you.
    Last edited by bertrenolds; 06-23-2015 at 12:17 PM.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bertrenolds View Post
    I am wondering how you adjust or center the caliper then? I am use to undoing the bolts, pulling the trigger and centering the caliper and tightening the bolts, is it still the same? Your awesome cooba, thanks for clearing this up for me. Sorry I did not believe you.
    Have the bolts just loose enough that the caliper can move on the adapter, squeeze the brake lever and wrap a rubber band around it to keep it pressed, tighten the bolts in small increments and alternate between the bolts, remove rubber band when the bolts are properly tightened.

You could also center the caliper by sight.

The CPS washers on your Juicy's would allow you to attach the brake on a slight angle if the fork/frame brake mounts were out of alignment.
    Last edited by cobba; 06-23-2015 at 08:28 PM.

mtbr member
    I got them installed, bleed 2 times, and all set up and they are so much better then my old juicy ultimate brakes.

Cobba, thanks again for the help.

Now if only my matchmaker x mounting brackets were bigger to fit my handlebars.