UCI rules changes for cyclo-cross - disc brakes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

UCI rules changes for cyclo-cross - disc brakes

The UCI just made a change last week now allowing for riders to use bicycles with disc brakes in UCI level cyclo-cross races. This is a significant change for the sport, and one that has been bounced around for several years prior to its approval. I've no allusion of ever racing at that level; however, the trickle-down effect on lower levels of competition, and the bicycles those riders use, will start soon.

I wanted to get the input of the forum members on good, light, disc-brakes that can be used with STI levers and drop bars. Any recommendations on rotor sizes? Scrub rotors (to save on rotational weight, which is a big deal in 'cross)?

I use Hope M4 180s (front) and X2 (rear) on my mountain bike in the spring/summer and BB7s (with a WTB drop bar) in the fall/winter and am really happy with both of them.

I suspect this debate will rage on among the died-in-the-wool 'cross folks for some time; however, the reality is that this argument was probably beaten to death long ago by mountain bike racers and enthusiasts many moons ago before disc brakes became commonplace among riders. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the pro's and con's being debated now mirror those discussed some 10 or more years ago by the mountain bike folks.

Thanks. I look forward to the responses.

Dan

RIS
    banned
    Nov 2009
    I'm not a 'cross racer, but I'm wondering how this will affect the viability of Monster-cross bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Are there other options available for drop-bar cyclo-cross bikes with disc tabs besides the Tektro, Avid, and Shimano models? Does Formula, Hayes, or other companies manufacture disc brakes for drop-bar 'cross bikes?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I waiting to see hydro brifters.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by danwerle
    Are there other options available for drop-bar cyclo-cross bikes with disc tabs besides the Tektro, Avid, and Shimano models? Does Formula, Hayes, or other companies manufacture disc brakes for drop-bar 'cross bikes?

Thanks.
    Not right now...but with the UCI legalizing disc brakes...hydros will be coming

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm just looking forward to more 130mm disc hubs. Or more 135mm road/cross frames.

And fewer rich guys who are sure their commute is more difficult than everyone else's commute whining about the lack of road disc bikes that look more macho than the Portland on the commuting forum.

I'll be curious to see how quickly it catches on. In my local series, a few people have had disc brakes for ages - I think people who don't just didn't want to deal with hunting down uncommon components.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    They're no longer made but Rockshox/Amp hydraulic disc brakes which were cable actuated work fine with all road levers (the cable pull requirement is about identical to that of a road caliper brake). The rockshox ones used IS spaced caliper mounts, and the rear rotor bolt pattern is identical in diameter to the 6bolt ISO pattern. The front pattern is different but Formula made hubs and hub adapters for it. You can still find them on ebay NOS from time to time.

Former Bike Wrench
    Those Amp brakes were awful...I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who actually wants to stop their bike. Not even worth the effort to look for them, the reason they disappeared from the market was that V-Brakes had more power!

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    I waiting to see hydro brifters.
    Hell yes! At this point, I'd be happy with hydraulic road levers...
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

Members who have read this thread: 0