mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Two-piece rotor question...

Hey, please don't kill me if somebody posted a similar question already... I've got some Elixir 5's with a 203/160 one-piece rotor combo on my 456 Evo and I can not keep the rotors straight for the life of me I've been truing them weekly, but they just keep getting more and more crooked after every ride. They're a couple years old, so I was thinking of switching to some two-piece rotors that would (hopefully) stay straighter, even after crashes and stuff. So, my question is, what rotors will work with Avid brakes? What rotors are the best for the cost? I'm looking at getting Shimano rotors, but didn't know if they would work with Avid calipers or not since there is so little clearance between the pads... I'll probably switch to SLX or XT brakes in a month or two, but wanted to go ahead and get the rotors. Thanks and sorry for the long drawn out explanation

●●●●●●●●◌◌

I'm not sure this is simply a rotor issue.

Sure, a flimsy rotor will be more prone to flex/warp, but truing after each ride is excessive. Does it occur primarily with one rotor, or equally with both?

mtbr member
    I had to shim my Elixer calipers up a couple of mms to eliminate interference with my XT rotor's carriers. Otherwise they work fine together and the XTs do seem less bend/warp prone than the Avids they replaced. YMMV

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I'm not sure this is simply a rotor issue.

Sure, a flimsy rotor will be more prone to flex/warp, but truing after each ride is excessive. Does it occur primarily with one rotor, or equally with both?
    It happens mostly with the front rotor (as the front rotor is huge), but the back rotor is starting to warp more now. Both rotors used to straighten out a bit after some braking, but now after I brake, they just rub more.

I'll probably pull the trigger on some new rotors sometime in the next week. Definitely liking the Shimanos... if all I have to do is shim the caliper to get them to work with the Avids, then that sounds easy enough.
    Last edited by kt42; 02-18-2013 at 05:23 AM.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by kt42 View Post
    . . . I'll probably switch to SLX or XT brakes in a month or two . . .
    . . . I'll probably pull the trigger on some new rotors sometime in the next week . . .
    Just wait and do it all at once . . . much less fiddling, no shimming, and no need to go through the break set-up process more than once.

You don't say which Avid rotors you have, but in my experience they are cheaper rotors in comparison to most others. The shimano's seem to work well as do magura's and hope. Just know that 2-piece rotors typically have more problems with bending than 1-piece counterparts. They are far more sensitive to being bumped and knocked out of true . . . however, they are also better at self-straightening when you get them hot (this is true at least for the Hope 2-piece, as I've run them for over 2 years now).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    That's a good point.. I guess I was just thinking the rotors were the most non-functional/annoying part on my bike, so it would be good to get new ones asap. My Avid brakes aren't too horrible because I don't weigh that much so the lack of power isn't a huge issue. That's why I was planning on putting off buying brakes for a bit.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. That 2-piece rotors bend easy, but also straighten easy after some braking. The 1-piece rotors just seem to warp. The Hope rotors look super nice. What brakes do you run them with?

b a n n e d
    What brakes do you run them with?
    Hope M4 (F) and an X2 (R).
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Plays with tools
    How out of true are your rotors when your truing them? Seems like this might be a case of you chasing your tail over a little tick that many of us wouldn't think twice about.

But yes the two part rotors are a little stiffer and resist warpage and bending better than the price point rotors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The rotors started out just a little wobbly, but I pretty much ignored them when it wasn't to bad. Then, they got almost to the point where the rotors were rubbing for about half of the rotation. That's when I started truing them. Trust me, if I could ignore the rotors rubbing, I would

wyrd bi ful rd
    Assuming the pads still have life in them ... and that the wear in them have been even.

Have a look to see if one of your pistons is sticking. Check that the rotor is still centered even after you have pulled-in the lever.

You can actually bend the rotor with your fingers at 'areas' where it is rubbing. ie bend it in the opposite direction.

I am using Hope 'floating' rotors with Shimano calipers.

Members who have read this thread: 1