Twisted hydraulic hose- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Twisted hydraulic hose

I am installing a set of Shimano hydros that I bought pre bled and after they had sat in the box for a while on the shelf the hydraulic hose doesn't want to straighten out right. I can make the hose behave fairly well along the frame by tying it down, but where it comes from the frame to loop to the levers on the bars it keeps wanting to bend kind of funky in an upward loop. I left the levers on the bars for a couple of weeks hoping that the hose would straighten out a bit on it's own, but it hasn't.

Is it alright to try to take a hairdryer to the hose to try to get the twisting out of it? Are there any other tricks that I don't know to get the hose a bit more in order?

mtbr member
    Before installling the brakes did you "unkink" the hose so that it would run straight and sit as close to the frame as practical? Perhaps slightly loosen the bolt that fixes the hose to the lever and realign it so that it sits where you want it. As long as you don't pull the lever while you are doing this you shouldn't need to bleed it.

I doubt that sitting in a box has much to do with it.

Wombat

Members who have read this thread: 0