Trek 9.8 Aluminum chain stay caliper mounts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Trek 9.8 Aluminum chain stay caliper mounts

I have (what I believe 1998) second hand Trek 9.8 frame with aluminum chain stays. My question is what kind of adapter do I need in order to get some I.S-A Calipers put on? If anything these look like a post mount job, but the holes are about 1/2 and inch apart. I have been looking pretty hard but I cant seem to figure it out. The holes are about 3/7 the length of the chain stay from the wheel hub, they protrude out off the chain stay and face down. Again they are no where near as wide as a the mounts on the front shocks (Rockshox Judy TT). I am pretty sure those are I.S-A not post mount. Any help would be appreciated. This frame requires an E-Type front dérailleur (fun).

Meh.
    Sounds like the 22mm mount. You'll need a 22mm Hayes caliper. A2Z makes a 22mm to IS adapter, but I'm not sure if there's adequate room to mount both the adapter and a caliper.

If you can take a picture, we can confirm.

Something like that?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, sorry bout the delay. Heres a picture. The one above looks very much like it. I will investigate further. Please comment if you feel like it. Also your avatar is hotness, care to disclose who or where a larger version exists? Thanks anyways.

... I looked at the A2Z Mount and it looks promising. Would an adapter limit sizing options for the disc?

Last edited by pcxmac; 10-11-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Meh.
    Yup. That's 22mm. There are adapters, but since your's is located on the chainstay, there may not be adequate room for both an adapter and caliper. You'll need to look around ebay for a 22mm Hayes caliper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I just ordered a 22mm caliper directly from hayes for my trek. I couldn't find a 22mm to 51mm adapter that would work on a chainstay mount.

Members who have read this thread: 0