tip for avid juicy users who experience turkey gobble- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

tip for avid juicy users who experience turkey gobble

i have 2008 avid juicy 5 with g2cs 7" rotors front and rear. just wanted to share some tip regarding the turkey gobble.

i found the surface area of the pads sits lower on the disc surface hitting the spokes of the disc when braking. i just added washers under the calipers to lift the calipers up a few millimeters. The pads now contact the disc area without hitting the spokes. The gobble is gone now. hope this works for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I found that using original AVID, or Koolstop replacment pads avoids most of the problems I have heard and read about. I have used (LBS only carried) other brands and have had horrible noise and overheating of the pads to where I had to "bail out" into a field on a downhill curve because of failed stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hi, i am still using the original pads it came with when i bought it. I also have a pair of serfas pads. i tried it on and yes, it makes a lower noise compared to the original. but ever since i put those washers on, there was zero noise. i looked at the wear pattern on my rotors before i put washers and the pads contacts the spokes about 2-3mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    the shim washers all so worked on my stoker rides to eliminate noise and lever pulsing

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Due to variances in post mounts on different frames, that's probably something people should check. Great tip.

Members who have read this thread: 0