Ti Rotor bolts- Mtbr.com

Thread: Ti Rotor bolts

mtbr member

Ti Rotor bolts

question on titanium rotor bolts... what do i need to put before installing, anti sieze or threadlocker? i know some say that it siezes so put anti sieze, but i read or heard somewhere that they put threadlockers... confused

Tá mé ar meisce.
    I would personally use copper based anti seize. I would be to afraid of using thread locker, TI bolts tend to lock up pretty hard on their own.
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

ballbuster

Second that

Quote Originally Posted by BeerCan
    I would personally use copper based anti seize. I would be to afraid of using thread locker, TI bolts tend to lock up pretty hard on their own.
    Although Loctite Blue will also keep the bolts from seizing, oddly enough. Actually, it kinda gums up the threads more than gluing them in place, and sometimes it makes them a bit hard to remove. Nice thing is, you don't have to torque down the bolts crazy tight if you use Loctite in there.

I also found that many hub mfgs tend to make the bolt threads slightly undersized, probably to help keep the bolts form backing out. I find I sometimes have to chase the threads with a good sharp thread tap to make them go together smoothly.

I would go for the copper based anti-sieze with Ti bolts myself. Or really... how much weight are you saving? 5-7 grams for 6 bolts? Is it really worth the hassle and expense? Okay, that is another discussion.

The MTB Lab
    Go to the auto part store and buy a big container of anti-seize, Permatex makes a nice 8oz one, and it will last forever.

Personally I don't use Ti rotor bolts much anymore, they are expensive, and don't save that much weight, plus the heads tend to strip.

Members who have read this thread: 0