Which of these brakes are good?- Mtbr.com
    Xtr=x0
    May 2010

Which of these brakes are good?

Im trying to deciede on a set of brakes that will last long and be trouble free.

I have made some observations. But first I will name what Im not in the market for.
    Avid hydros, Grimeca, Hayes.

Right now I have shimano deore and they lasted about a year and now the front brakes is toast and I cant/wont fix it, its squeals in the rain like you would not believe, and they are not really that powerful either, old xtr v-brakes are better. No more shimano hydros for me.

Formual, hard to get part for them here, only internet, and I dont like they got rid of the adjustable levers. Expensive too.

Maguras looks good, is there any difference in power between the Marta and Louise?
    A couple of years ago magura provided info on the piston diameter but that info is now gone, does anyone know this?

Magura louise BAT cost 105 and the Marta 135-150. Which has more power and least maintanence?

Hope V2 125 and hope tech X2 105, most power/best modulation of these?

V2/X2 vs Louise and Marta for durabbility, power and low maintainence?
    D8 is now off the hook.

Mudder
    Do not get hayes, I have the elixirs and haven't had any problems with them. If your not worried about weight the shimano XT Hydraulic disc brakes are the best overall brakes.

Xtr=x0
    May 2010
    Shimanos are jinxed.
    D8 is now off the hook.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    So are every other brand, depending on who you talk to.

I have used a lot of XC-type brakes, and Avids (both juicy and elixir) have done well for me.

I have tried 2 iterations of the Mono Mini (originals + X2 pro) and was underwhelmed with their power, especially as neither brake was anywhere as light as claimed.

I would have recommended shimano as most people find them acceptable, if not exceptional (my experience is of continual sticking pistons).
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

Xtr=x0
    May 2010
    Ah I see the X2 is not a powerhouse, would V2 be better, I mean much better?

Most Shimanos feel very good at the lever but that is of little use if they stop working IMO.
    D8 is now off the hook.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alivio
    Ah I see the X2 is not a powerhouse
    My experience tells me otherwise. One finger easily locks both brakes for my setup.

Xtr=x0
    May 2010
    Its so hard to choose brakes, one guy thinks brake x is very powerfuland the next thinks it sucks balls.

My opinion is that deore hydrolics are weak, not cantilever weak but still weak for what they are, I want that 1 finger OTB power, I had that with xtr V brakes, but not in the wet.
    To lift the back wheel with deores I have to pull as hard as I can and even then the brakes are really doint their best to let me know that this is not approved behavior.

I would like something maybe "10 times" as powerful as these. Overcapacity hell yeah. those deores have almost gotten me killed several times.

The reason I dont trust Shimanos anymore is I have a feeling they are all pretty much the same, and as seen in this thread more people than me have problems with the pistons, and there are no spares to have either, they are 1 year disposable brakes to me, I dont like paying twice and getting a worse product for the duration. Better to get the best from the start and forget about it, its cheaper in the long run /rant off

I want the best stuff money can buy on the planet, all categories.

The Hopes win on spares availability by a long shot, and it looks like you can open them too, open everything!
    D8 is now off the hook.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have Magura Marta SL brakes on two of my
    bikes and really like everything about them. I
    also haven't had any problems with them.

Best, John

Xtr=x0
    May 2010
    This is so strange, nobody use Magura here?? Magura are the pioneers of hydro systems to me, Well they were the only one doing hydros in the early nineties, and maybe sachs but those sucked.

Now that I have found out that the v2 hopes are the most powerful hopes Id like to learn about the Maguras, I used magura rim brakes for at least 5 years, those were the **** back then, sure the xtr v brakes had better modulation (almost rediculous) but the maguras they were powerful, I was confident I could actually crack my rim back then.

More Magura info please. I never had any problems with the rim brakes so Magura still is top ****ing notch to me, not too many negatives here on the board either, should I enterpret this as "Just go out and get them"??

I have heard reversed horror stories about those old julies just going and going for years not even needing rebleed. As commuters! There must be some truth to this.
    D8 is now off the hook.

Xtr=x0
    May 2010
    The marta calipers are sexy. I feel my discs are starting to crave some. 'The martas should definitely watch out.
    D8 is now off the hook.

Professional Speed Bump
    So far I have had these:

Shimano 485
    Shimano LX
    Shimano XT
    Hayes something...(magnesium)
    Coda Expert
    Tektro IO

...and I have tried:
    Avid BB7
    Avid Juicy 7

Shimano 485 - dry performance is average but the pads contaminate easily (squeals a lot after 1 ride in the rain and continued to squeal even after the pads dried out) but after I changed pads, dry and wet performance was fairly improved...it was more an issue with the cheap pads it came with than the brakes themselves. If you're on a budget, this might be a good set ONLY if you get a decent set of pads and replace the stock.

Shimano LX - good on dry but stopping power weak in the wet. The brakes did squeal after a ride through the rain, but unlike the 485 it stopped squealing after the pads dried off. Better stock pads(?)

Shimano XT - excellent on dry. No experience on wet yet. I am assuming they will perform as well or better than the LX on wet.

Hayes something magnesium - worked great for a while, until it clogged up on the front brake reservoir. Couldn't fix so they were tossed.

Coda Expert - Good on dry but weak in wet conditions. Just like the LX, it squealed when wet but quiet when dry. No longer in use.

Tektro IO mech - Good on dry and decent on wet. No squeals, even in the wet. Surprisingly good for cheap brakes.

Avid BB7 - Excellent on dry. No experience in wet.

Avid Juicy7 - Excellent on dry. No experience in wet. I thought the performance was similar to the XT, except the XT felt a bit...smoother (?). Maybe more dynamic is the word...On a rough downhill area, I had a little more issues with the rear locking up on the Juicy7 when I didn't want it to.

Anyways...I think some of the cheaper brakes can be enhanced by replacing the stock pads with something more quality...which was the case for my 485's.

Also, if you ride through water or in the rain, your pads can easily get contaminated due to oily substances flowing or splashing on to your rotors. This is why your brakes keep squealing even after they dry. You can easily de-contaminate them by baking the pads in the oven at 350-400 degrees. Watch real closely and you'll see very light smoke rise up from the pads. Once the smoke disappears, let the pads cool and reinstall them <-- this info, I got from the beginner's corner from other experienced riders. Works like a charm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slalomnorth65
    Do not get hayes, .
    Why not?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Heck. You can roll the dice to find "good" brakes.
    You need to spend $200+ to find great brakes.

Members who have read this thread: 0