mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Tektro IO mechs?

anyone have a review on them? i am comtemplating to get the GT Ava 3.0 disc and worried about the reliability of the stock mechs on them...

mtbr member

Tektro Io

No Modulation – on/off brake
    No Power - OK for lower speeds, riding beginner trails.
    Rotors - got REALLY hot easily and would lose what seemed like half the braking power going down hills.
    Reliability – Seemed ok. Not sure though, didn’t use them that long.

Overall, give no feel whatsoever as to what a true disc brake should feel like. The bike you are looking at seems like a great bike though. I would not let this deter you from purchasing the bike, but you might plan on changing the brakes because you will probably want something better after a while. I had these for about three months and upgraded to AVID BB7 and it completely changes EVERYTHING as for as power and modulation. The upgrade wasn’t that expensive either, I paid about 140.00 for a set from Pricepoint. However, like I stated , I think these would be ok to start off with until you can upgrade. --- IMHO

Other reviews here: http://biketrials.com/review/2005_Tektro_IO_L542.html

Good Luck on the purchase
    Phill

Meh.
    They're ok for a beginner disc brake. If the rotors are overheating... lay off the brakes or brake in patterns...

Life's a garden. Dig it.
    I have them on one of my bikes, and they do not offer as much control or power as the BB7s on my other bike. However, they are still far better than any V-brake I've used. Ride with them until the no longer meet your needs.

Freshly Fujified

Not for heavy riders

As most of the previous posts indicated, the Tektro I/O is not necessarily the best, but not necessarily the worst. I had a set that came stock on a bike and I would not recommend them for clydesdales like me, or if you're going to be doing any aggressive riding. You need to decide based on this if you can make do with them. If you can, use them and save up for a set of Avid BB7, or a set of hydraulics. If you have any question, see if the bike shop where you're purchasing the bike from will swap them out for something better, and pay them the difference in cost. they won't give you much credit, but your only other option would be to do the swap yourself, and sell them on ebay or mtbr classifieds, etc. if you decide to keep them, be sure to start looking now for a set of replacement pads, as they are not necessarily the most readliy available pad, and at some point you'll need them. Having them in hand will avoid the hassles of trying to locate them, which could take time.

Just some more food for thought.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Members who have read this thread: 0