Poll: Are tektro 837 al brakes decent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Cormac

Tektro 837al brakes

I can't find any reviews or anything on these brakes. Does anybody know if these brakes are good or crappy or what?
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    The reason you can't find any reviews around here are they are not primarily an MTB brake. They are designed as a BMX V-brake. The calipers or arms are usually slightly shorter than a standard MTB V-brake to accommodate smaller 20" wheeled BMX style frames. It's a lower end brake, but of reasonable quality and performance. If I remember correctly Tektro produced two versions of the brake, the 837AL and 837AL (Mini V). The 837AL would likely work on most MTBs. However I would be very cautious of mixing BMX components on a mountain bike. Some times they work, sometimes they don't. Just keep in mind, not all bike components are created equal, though they may look the same.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Cormac
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash View Post
    The reason you can't find any reviews around here are they are not primarily an MTB brake. They are designed as a BMX V-brake. The calipers or arms are usually slightly shorter than a standard MTB V-brake to accommodate smaller 20" wheeled BMX style frames. It's a lower end brake, but of reasonable quality and performance. If I remember correctly Tektro produced two versions of the brake, the 837AL and 837AL (Mini V). The 837AL would likely work on most MTBs. However I would be very cautious of mixing BMX components on a mountain bike. Some times they work, sometimes they don't. Just keep in mind, not all bike components are created equal, though they may look the same.

Good Dirt
    I just bouht a bike with 837al's, a Dawes deadeye, so do you think I should be ok with these brakes for a summer of Mtbing until I upgrade?
    '11 Dawes Deadeye
    '12 Niner E.M.D. 9
    '09 Giant ocr c1
    Xtracycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaindudespike View Post
    I just bouht a bike with 837al's, a Dawes deadeye, so do you think I should be ok with these brakes for a summer of Mtbing until I upgrade?
    Yeah they should be fine. I was just saying the reason that you don't see reviews on them is they're primarily marketed as a BMX brake. If Dawes specs them, they're likely not the "mini's" or they wouldn't work, too short. The Mini's you usually find on 20" BMX bikes. The regulars will work on just about anything. Though you usually find them on 24" wheeled BMX and dirt jumpers. I assumed that you were going to purchase some and was cautioning against the Mini's primarily. The calipers on the regular 837 brakes should be the same size as most other V-brakes. It's tough to tell them apart until you have em side by side. Anyway, if they were speced on the bike you can pretty much bet they're the right ones, I doubt you'll have a problem with them. And you never know, you might like them. While Tektro doesn't make the blingest products out there, they do make stuff that works well. Don't sweat it.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"