Switching from Hayes hydro to Avid mech - couple questions...- Mtbr.com
    DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Switching from Hayes hydro to Avid mech - couple questions...

While I love the Hayes when the work, I just spend too much time having to tinker with them, so I'm switching to the Avid mech's which seem to get rave reviews. Couple questions first...

- Can I use my Hayes rotors (8" front, 6" rear) with the Avids?
    - Is there an adapter to fit an Avid mech on an older (2001) Marzocchi QR20 (Z1 in my case)? I know my Hayes needed a special adapter for that QR20. Couldn't tell from the Avid website if I needed the same.
    - For those with experience, do you recommend the Full Metal Jacket housing for both the front and rear?

I think that's it. Thanks in advance. S

Village Idiot
    Jan 2004
    - Can I use my Hayes rotors (8" front, 6" rear) with the Avids?
    Yes you can use Hayes rotors with Avid's. I was in your exact situation, and found out the Avid rotors squeeled horribly with my setup. I kept the Hayes rotors on because they ran much quieter. The dimensions of Hayes and Avid rotors are almost identical. 160mm Avid = "6 inch" Hayes; 203mm Avid = "8 inch" Hayes.

- Is there an adapter to fit an Avid mech on an older (2001) Marzocchi QR20 (Z1 in my case)? I know my Hayes needed a special adapter for that QR20. Couldn't tell from the Avid website if I needed the same.
    As far as I know, Avid still doesn't make an adapter for this fork. Not 100% sure, but call their customer support, they might be able to help. A Hayes adapter for a QR20 will work with the Avid's, however you will have to pull out the CPS adjustment washers.

- For those with experience, do you recommend the Full Metal Jacket housing for both the front and rear?
    I use the FMJ's and they kick @ss! I run my housing full length (use the hydro line guides on my frame) and the performance it spectacular. I run my SD-7 levers at maximum leverage and there is still very little mushiness, even in the rear brake. I wouldn't say they are necessary, the brakes setup with generic housing are very powerful to begin with. The FMJ's sort of give your brakes that hydro feel, less friction, smoother actuation, etc. The lack of friction with this setup allows you to run very low spring tension in the caliper. In fact, I removed the return springs from my levers and took the tension adjustment screw out of the front caliper! The whole setup is much more powerful than my Hayes were. They are great brakes, you won't be dissappointed.

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003

RyanC - Thanks...

Perfect. Appreciate all the answers. And good to hear that I can keep the Hayes rotors and adapter. S

On MTBR hiatus :(
    - Is there an adapter to fit an Avid mech on an older (2001) Marzocchi QR20 (Z1 in my case)? I know my Hayes needed a special adapter for that QR20.
    A Hayes adapter for a QR20 will work with the Avid's, however you will have to pull out the CPS adjustment washers.
    I'm certain the Avid caliper and CPS washers will work with the Hayes adapter you are currently using.

Keep in mind that a solo Hayes caliper <i>or </i> a solo Avid calipers <i>with CPS washers</i> are both designed to mate directly to a 74mm post mount.

This means that any adapter designed for either caliper in effect duplicates a 74mm post mount.

If a Hayes caliper bolts up the the adapter in question, so should any Avid caliper + CPS washers.

The only time CPS washers might have to be eliminated is in the use of Avid's old calipers, designed for 165mm rotors.

Just roll it......

Avid calipers will work with the Hayes adaptor

DSR,

Actually, you HAVE to use your Hayes QR20 adaptor with your Avid caliper. I spoke to Avid directly and they don't currently make their own QR20 adaptor. They said they use the Hayes adaptors too - although they'll be coming out with one this spring....but the Hayes works perfect and that's their recommended solution.

I don't remember pulling any washers ....the caliper should mount to the adaptor using the existing hardware. There is one thing, actually.... If you have an older Avid setup (2001) - which it sounds like you don't - you'll need to change the spacers for the mounting because those were 165mm rotors. If you have newer Avid's though, this should be a non-issue and your spacers should be fine.

I believe the rotors are the same....I was using my Hayes rotors on my Avid's for a while and had no issues whatsoever.

Cheers,
    EB

DSR
    mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Excellent. Funny, and somewhat refreshing, that Avid just recommends using the Hayes adapter. Thanks again.

Now I'm trying to figure out if I should use regular cable housing, Avid Flak Jacket or Avid FMJ...

S

Just roll it......

Look into Jag wire as well.

No problem.

Perhaps look into Jagwire 5 mm housing and cables as well. Not quite as expensive as the Avid stuff, but seems to work great for the wet, mucky weather in Seattle. The flak jackets and FMJ's are both sweet though....

Cheers,
    EB

mtbr member
    If I didn't know any better, I'd swear you were Canadian...

Just roll it......

I certainly wouldn't mind living in Canada...

As we know, our brethren to the north certainly have the goods when it comes to bike trails and snowsports.....makes you wonder, eh?

MSylvan, you back in town? Hopefully we'll see you on the trails this Thursday! Sunday at Anna Cortez was epic.

Cheers,
    EB

Members who have read this thread: 0