Switching to Disc Up Front- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Switching to Disc Up Front

Sorry in advance for another question about disc comparisons. My situation is that my Ti frame is not rear disc compatible, but I want to try them up front. I was going to go with the Avid mechanical so I could keep both Paul Love Levers. I am now thinking that maybe I should consider the hydro option and not worry about mismatched levers. Since I mix my shifters X.0 (r) / X.9 Trigger (f), maybe I shouldn;t worry. Any thoughts about the merits of paying up for Marta SL or Mono Mini?? I know weight is an issue in this debate, but it certainly is the least important to me. I figure that the difference between something like Marta SL and AVid CPS is about 125g. Thanx in advance for any insights!!

Baliw
    Jan 2004

Mech at front

There will be a pretty noticeable difference in feel and modulation between a hydraulic and v-brake, so if you use a front hydro and rear v it might take you a while to adjust in using both. This might not be a big issue in the long run, but using a mech disc at the front might give a closer feel with a v at the rear. This is what I had in my HT (also a Ti!) and it worked perfectly.

Working with cables only may also simplify your maintenance and spare parts stock. And no matter what others may say, hydraulic brakes make a mess when you bleed them. However, luckily you don't have to do this very often for most brands.

I love Pisgah

Mech it man

As stated. Best option. Keeps the Paul Love levers in the mix, and also keeps the feel the same. Have 2 nrs rides, one with b4pro hydros, the other with hayes mag hydros. My HT is the same as your deal...using an avid v in the back, with an avid disc up front. Using mostly ti hardware with it, and of course since only 1 disc setup is used, minimizing the main drawback of a mech disc, meaning weight. The front is where a disc's advantages reeeeeeeally shine, meaning mud/wet performance, and superior regulation is appreciated. Of course you'll still have all that grinding noise in the back, but you already have that, so no loss.

mtbr member

Wink Avid juicy 7 maybe?

With the adjustments on lever you could have some degree of matching with these....plus they are like driving my hog...real sweet..just a thought....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Avid mechanical in the front will give you a huge advantage..

..in wet weather. I wouldn't worry about the differences between the front and back. As for hydros, an mismatches, I believe several companies make mechanical brake levers to match their hydro levers.

I run two bikes with Avids in the front and conventional rim brakes in the rear. I never give a thought to the difference in modulation. They just work. In the wet and muddy conditions I pretty much give up on the rears. By the time they come into the play the fronts have done all the work.

conjoinicorned
    the avid mechs are such sweet brakes, they are too often discounted because - gasp - they aren't the newest in new.

i find them to be even more adjustable than my v's, with better modulation. in fact, they feel just like way better v's. when i had hydros, i found them too grabby and harder to adjust. as well, i didn't want to give up my precious 1.5 levers.

hydros are very nice, and disk brakes are one of the best upgrades you can make, but after riding all kinds of brakes

The cat's name is jake
    Is your frame without the standard rear dropout? If you have a standard dropout, there is an adapter that will allow you to mount discs. I'm using one and it works great with my Avids.

I love Pisgah
    Yes, I'd be interested. If you'd be so kind.

The cat's name is jake
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckman
    Yes, I'd be interested. If you'd be so kind.
    Are you saying you're interested in the adapter? I went to my LBS and they set me up with one for $10. It bolts onto the dropout, and positions the brake perfectly - I haven't had any problems with it.

Ignore this if you weren't replying to me.

Hail to the King, baby

New question here. Brand and part name or numbe would be nice

Quote Originally Posted by BungedUP
    Are you saying you're interested in the adapter? I went to my LBS and they set me up with one for $10. It bolts onto the dropout, and positions the brake perfectly - I haven't had any problems with it.

I have 4 family bikes without rear disc brake mounts. I am interested in any $10 adapter out there.
    What is the brand name of the adapter? Is there a part name or part number?

Thanx, old_dude

mtbr member

Send your Ti Frame to a custom builder like...

... Strong Frames or DeKerf, and they will weld on a disk mount for you, and remove the v-brake bosses for you if you want. It usually costs between $200 and $300 including shipping, and IMHO is worth it (plus, a Ti frame won't need to be repainted).

I sent my Foco hardtail to Strong Frames for just such a modification and it is awesome. Three other friends sent a Voodoo Ti, Prestige Steel, and 853 Steel frames to be modified and not one of the four of us regrets it. Both Strong and DeKerf did a fine job on the bikes.

Each bike has had new life breathed into it, and the time and money were well worth it.
    In fact, we all have full suspension bikes as well (Switchblade, ID, Heckler, RFX), but last Sunday 3 of 4 of us were rolling our hardtails (a Voodoo, a Strong Frame, and a KHS, the fourth guy has a DeKerf but was rolling his RFX)!

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MTBDad
    Sorry in advance for another question about disc comparisons. My situation is that my Ti frame is not rear disc compatible, but I want to try them up front. I was going to go with the Avid mechanical so I could keep both Paul Love Levers. I am now thinking that maybe I should consider the hydro option and not worry about mismatched levers. Since I mix my shifters X.0 (r) / X.9 Trigger (f), maybe I shouldn;t worry. Any thoughts about the merits of paying up for Marta SL or Mono Mini?? I know weight is an issue in this debate, but it certainly is the least important to me. I figure that the difference between something like Marta SL and AVid CPS is about 125g. Thanx in advance for any insights!!
    I'll be along... eventually.

Hail to the King, baby

Was it an A2Z adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by BungedUP

I found something on the WEB about an A2Z adapter.

http://www.a2zcomponents.com

I have not been able to find any WEB store or LBS that carries it.

old_dude