Swap Hope M4 for Bianco?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Swap Hope M4 for Bianco?

Afternoon chaps.

Recently, I had my 2007 Hope M4 front brake, and Mini rear (both 180mm, braided hoses, floating rotors) stolen. I've now enough money to buy some new brakes, but the question is, do I go with what I had before?

My thinking is: I was happy with my previous setup after solving the initial teething problems, and therefore I *should* be happy with a repeat setup. However, I've found a deal on some 160/160mm Formula Biancos that is cheaper than buying a new M4 & Mini.

Does anyone have experience of both brakes? Would the downsizing to 160mm F/R Biancos be comparable to my 180 M4/Mini or would I lose out on power AND/OR modulation? The one finger leaver of the Biancos does not bother me.

I've also considered Saints, as they're cheap too. It just feels hard to justify spending so much money again, when I've already bought the brakes once before.

Cheers in advance. Oh, I'm a heavy bloke riding aggressive XC if that helps.

not so super...
    Find a set with F&R 180mm rotors, either Hope or Formula.
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    Sorry to hear. How the hell did your brakes get stolen?

The M4/Mini combo is great, as well as the Formula. I'm inclined to say if you can get a deal on the Bianco, go for them, BUT the M4 is being blown out at Jenson, if that's an option for you to go. Also on the Mini.

The next thing is having used Formula and Hope, I find CS on par with one another. Hope has been great to deal with.

If you've bled Hopes, I don't know how you'll feel about Formula with the two syringes. In theory, it's supposed to be easy when compared to others, but nothing beats Hope, by far. I like that I don't have to take syringes when I go away on rides. Just pump the lever and open the bleed valve.

As far as setup, I take a lot of time to make everything perfect, no matter how easy they are supposed to be in theory. I don't buy into Avid's marketing campaign that won too many people over in making them think that setting up a safety item should take 30 seconds.

With all that said, hope you make a good choice. You can't go wrong with either, but the minute differences can be huge depending on what's important to you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    They went along with my bars and stem unfortunately.

Yes, I've bled my Hopes before and found it a very easy process. Although I'm sure I could easily adapt to the Formula method. I think what I'm more concerned with is the power/fading difference that might occur by going to 160mm rotors.

Once I have to start buying a conversion kit to 180mm (as the Formula deal is for 160/160) the Biancos become more expensive than rebuying Hope.

With all the reviews of the 'immense' power provided by Formula brakes, I'm confused as to whether the 160 Bianco can compete with the 180 M4/Mini or if people had simply not set up their Hope brake correctly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I've spent a good amount of time on both brakes. And you will be super happy with either. As for power you should be fine with the 160's, but its obviously dependent on what type of riding you do and how big you are.

banned
    Bottom line is they are both two of the best in the industry. If the formula becomes pricier than the M4, then you might want to go for the M4/Mini setup the way you know. No surprises, just good braking that you're familiar with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Bianco's Noises

I recently installed a set of Formula Bianco's 160mm front and rear on my Dean Titanium Single Speed. I am getting a lot of vibration and screaching when I engage the rear brake lever. Do I not have the brakes set-up incorrectly, or is this just inherent with these brakes on a titanium frame?

Industry Member
    Jul 2005
    Hey yawdert,
    Give me a call in the office and we can discuss some potential solutions to the noise and vibration you are experiencing.

Thanks,

Chris

Formula Brake USA

Single Speed Junkie
    Have run and tested every brake under the sun. (Thanks work) I can imperically say (but not spell) that the Formulas are the best brake on the market. Put a set on a 29er With a White Brothers fork up front. Rotor is a 180mm and need to downgrade to a 160mm to keep the fork flex down and this is the stiffest fork on the market.

Will only run Formulas from here out.

Members who have read this thread: 0