Stroker Trail: Bent pad/caliper post- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Stroker Trail: Bent pad/caliper post

So I bent a pad post on my front stroker. I'm not sure why, but I have read of two other cases and they seemed to think the pad came loose. This pretty much sucks since the brakes are only two weekends old. I had to get a rebuild kit and replace the affected caliper.

Is this common?

What can I do to ensure it does not happen again? (Don't say get avids! - I just might if it happens again though.)
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had this happen to me a while back. It happens when you ride without the pads being fully seated. If you look at the back of the pads, they have a chamfer to lead the top of the pad post into the hole located on the back of the pad.

If your pad isn't fully seated, then the pad post rests up against the chamfer and when you apply the brakes, it bends the post. It hasn't been a problem for me ever since I figured out why this was happening, and now I just make sure to fully seat my pads after servicing the brakes.

Also, in my experience, I've noticed that OE pads seem to snap in and retain their seating much better than aftermarket pads do.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've never bent the pad post, but the first 500 or so miles on the brakes, the stock outer pad on the rear brake would unseat once or twice a ride. Oddly enough, it hasn't happened since (about 600 miles later)
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I'm just hoping it does not happen again. Love the brakes!
    -Don "LordDRIFT" Draper.

banned
    Don'y get Avids either!!!! Get some Hope's.

Members who have read this thread: 0