Strange BB7 set up going on, need some help.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Strange BB7 set up going on, need some help.

Alright so i am instaling BB7's on my bike (almost finished with my build, just need the brakes and the rims) but anyway I need to know what cable housing to buy and what cables to buy and how to set it all up. Call me retarded but i realy want this brake housing https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...=78&category=8 I think it only comes in a 25 foot roll which is way more than i need but thats fine its worth it.

Ok so after I buy the cable housing I plan on doing something like this:

the front brake goes through the head set with a hollow star nut and the rear cable wraps around the head set so you can do bar spinns and tail wips.

So Lets say I buy that red housing, what cable should I buy that works with BB7 and comes long enough to wrap around the headset? (perferably from universal cycles)

bi-winning
    in the event that a standard cable is too short, they do make longer ones, designed for tandem bicycles. I did not see any at universal cycles, but do a search for tandem brake cables, and see what comes up.

I am not really into the whole dj thing, but do people typically run that setup with cable brakes? I can see there being a lot more friction as a result of the loops, and i also wonder how the stiffness of the housing would come into play.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DJskeet
    Alright so i am instaling BB7's on my bike (almost finished with my build, just need the brakes and the rims) but anyway I need to know what cable housing to buy and what cables to buy and how to set it all up. Call me retarded but i realy want this brake housing https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...=78&category=8 I think it only comes in a 25 foot roll which is way more than i need but thats fine its worth it.

Ok so after I buy the cable housing I plan on doing something like this:

the front brake goes through the head set with a hollow star nut and the rear cable wraps around the head set so you can do bar spinns and tail wips.

So Lets say I buy that red housing, what cable should I buy that works with BB7 and comes long enough to wrap around the headset? (perferably from universal cycles)
    Be aware that the brakes in the pic are hydraulic. Doing that with cable housing and BB7s will make them work like ca-ca.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Poorly Disguised Poser

Word!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Be aware that the brakes in the pic are hydraulic. Doing that with cable housing and BB7s will make them work like ca-ca.
    Running the cable through the steer tube is fine, but the wraps around the head tube is not going to work very well. You might try just running a longer cable and housing so that you can do a single (possibly a double) spin, but multiple wraps will be a lot of headache....if you can make it work at all.

Use of segmented housing such as Nokon (or similar) will allow you the best chance for success (I have found segmented housings to play well with tight bends...but they are a PITA to set up, and quite pricey).

Back in the day, we did this (and put heavy return springs on the caliper) and basically the brakes would work with the cable wrapped, but not work at all once unwrapped. Then the fine folks from ACS and Odyssey produced the "rotor" and the "gyro".
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

Meh.
    Hi Urbanfreerider... another new username?

You don't wrap the cable around the headtube.... it GETS wrapped around when you do barspins or tailwhips...

Did you really need ANOTHER thread about this topic? You've already started like 4 with your other log-in.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Hi Urbanfreerider... another new username?

You don't wrap the cable around the headtube.... it GETS wrapped around when you do barspins or tailwhips...

Did you really need ANOTHER thread about this topic? You've already started like 4 with your other log-in.
    SOme how I tried to change my e-mail with the account and i never recived an e-mail so the account got messed up.

On the other threads I did not get enough information about installing the cables and getting a cable long enough. And of course you don't ride around like that, maybe one loop, but i can imagine how in-efective that would be to have mechanical brakes looped around 7 times.

And NO, I am not going to my bike shop, the people there are evil, they will probly tell me to get a new fork or something becuse the brake doesn't fit (actualy one guy sugessted that)

Anyway, will this work http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...=73&category=8 with BB7's? I think it is long enough...

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJskeet
    On the other threads I did not get enough information about installing the cables and getting a cable long enough. And of course you don't ride around like that, maybe one loop, but i can imagine how in-efective that would be to have mechanical brakes looped around 7 times.
    That's not what you said/implied in your first post...

As for the cable... it depends on how long you want the loop to be and how the cable is run. You're better off getting a tandem cable... which your bike shop WILL HAVE.

Dude... housing is housing... and cables are cables... You don't need anything special. Just get the generic bulk stuff at 2-3 bucks a foot from the bike shop. And 5 bucks for a tandem cable...

What more information is needed? You need a long cable and to know how to set up a brake.

Let's assume that you get everything you need to build a bike... what do you plan to do at that point? Given your past posts, you have little to no mechanical ability/inclination. And there are several tools that are rather important and specialized, and expensive.

Posting multiple threads containing the same message in multiple forums is considered spamming and against the rules.

Having multiple accounts or posing as somebody else is also against the rules. And you have done both.

Why do you need rims? You already bought a wheelset... And how about you worry about learning to bunnyhop first? Do you really expect that a couple cables will magically allow you to do barspins and tailwhips (and before learning how to bunnyhop nonetheless)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I know how to bunny-hop, took me awhile to change my habbits but I can get about a foot an 5 inches now. I took all the brakes off my p2 and can do bar spinns (a little sketchy) on the grass.

The topics I have posted have been on different subjects, just becuse i don;t know what single speed kit to get doesn't mean I can't learn; the same goes with the brakes and cable.

And WHEN did I say I was getting new rims? NEVER, i have the same HALO's that I got from RayBoa. Same with the BB7's, i would have used the cable he gave me but it was too short for both the front and back (i also care what my bike looks like, if that sounds weird)

Now I chencked how long of a cable I would need for the rear, to wrap it around about three times is about 6 feet. That cable is 7 feet for the rear and 5 feet in the front (plenty).

So would this be compatable with bb7, I mean are cables universal, one fits all; or is it like some fit some and others fit others?

Meh.
    "almost finished with my build, just need the brakes and the rims" Are you so sure about that never?

You admitted to having multiple threads about the same topic... so how is that having different subjects? I know you have AT LEAST 2 (maybe 3) threads about the "strongest" axle... and one about how to install your wheels... You bring up the gyro or the long cable every single chance you get.

Shifter housing is for shifters. Brake housing is for brakes. They are wound differently. Just like brake cables and shifter cables have different ends. Eventually you're going to have to go to the shop... I seriously doubt that you'll be able to figure out how to put it all together and make it work correctly.

Poorly Disguised Poser
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    That's not what you said/implied in your first post...

As for the cable... it depends on how long you want the loop to be and how the cable is run. You're better off getting a tandem cable... which your bike shop WILL HAVE.

Dude... housing is housing... and cables are cables... You don't need anything special. Just get the generic bulk stuff at 2-3 bucks a foot from the bike shop. And 5 bucks for a tandem cable...

What more information is needed? You need a long cable and to know how to set up a brake.

Let's assume that you get everything you need to build a bike... what do you plan to do at that point? Given your past posts, you have little to no mechanical ability/inclination. And there are several tools that are rather important and specialized, and expensive.

Posting multiple threads containing the same message in multiple forums is considered spamming and against the rules.

Having multiple accounts or posing as somebody else is also against the rules. And you have done both.

Why do you need rims? You already bought a wheelset... And how about you worry about learning to bunnyhop first? Do you really expect that a couple cables will magically allow you to do barspins and tailwhips (and before learning how to bunnyhop nonetheless)?
    His first post said, "I plan on doing something like this"...then referenced a handsome looking male posing on a bicycle. huh huh huh huh (Beavis and Butthead laugh)
    My ego is bigger and better looking than yours.

mtbr member
    Dude!
    In the picture you can see HYDRAULIC brakes.
    Never try to do the same with mechanical brakes!

Members who have read this thread: 0